Suggestions for Separating and Reintegrating Breeding Groups?

Well a lot depends on your set up and how many roosters you have. If I had a dozen birds with the best rooster, I think I would pick the top two hens, and just put them in a crate in the morning until I could collect THEIR eggs. Let them out in the afternoon, catch off the roost until they laid.

If you pick your top 2-3 hens, in 5 days you would have close to 15 eggs. And no separation issues at all.

If you have multiple roosters, and multiple hens it is going to get a bit more complicated. Then I would pick at least a pair, or a trio of hens because you are going have to separate them for a longer period of time to clear the sperm, and then collect eggs. Then having a couple more, to reintroduce back would be best.

Mrs K

Well a lot depends on your set up and how many roosters you have. If I had a dozen birds with the best rooster, I think I would pick the top two hens, and just put them in a crate in the morning until I could collect THEIR eggs. Let them out in the afternoon, catch off the roost until they laid.

If you pick your top 2-3 hens, in 5 days you would have close to 15 eggs. And no separation issues at all.

If you have multiple roosters, and multiple hens it is going to get a bit more complicated. Then I would pick at least a pair, or a trio of hens because you are going have to separate them for a longer period of time to clear the sperm, and then collect eggs. Then having a couple more, to reintroduce back would be best.

Mrs K

I'm going to have 2 roosters.

I want a purebred Blue Australorp set and the general flock set.

Well yes, but are not both the roosters the Blue?

If so, what you need is to decide which hens eggs you are going to hatch. Even if you have several Blue hens, not all of them will be top notch? Pick a couple hens that you want to hatch from. Then at roosting time, just snag those 2-3 girls and put into a crate. Don't let them out of the crate until they lay. Then you KNOW those eggs came from them. Let them out into the flock after they lay each day - integration is a non issue.

The other hens can just lay and be collected for eating.

Unless, you just want ONE of those roosters to breed with one or two of the hens. Or if you want to know WHICH rooster is with each hen. If so, you really are going to have to go with two set ups, completely separate them, wait several weeks, and then start breeding. And I think I would be tempted to just leave them separate. Roosters can be tricky to reintroduce to each other.

Maybe it would be best if you explained how you think you are going to do it? I might not be understanding the situation.

I have to say, the more I see of those birds, the more I like them, just a beautiful color.

Mrs K

Maybe it would be best if you explained how you think you are going to do it? I might not be understanding the situation.

I have several options -- dividing my huge coop or temporarily putting a smaller group into the old coop being the main ones.

I don't really have time to explain more at the moment because I have to go tend the birds before I leave for work, but I should be able to type more later. :)

I have a few different sized coops with runs that I separate my breeding groups into. I separate my groups about six weeks before I plan on gathering eggs from them for hatching. I have a large coop that I keep the majority of my chickens in for most of the year. When I am ready to integrate my breeders back into the main flock. I just turn them out to free range when I turn out the main flock in the afternoon. There is usually some squabbling and fighting to reestablish the pecking order. Not being confined, the subordinates have room to get away from the dominant ones. Which lessens the chance of serious injury. I allow the breeders to return to the smaller coop for a week or two. Depending on if some are being bullied or being a bully. Then I close it up after turning them out to free range and have them go back into the main coop.

OK, I have a little time before I clock in.

My reason for wanting to have 2 different roosters is to have a backup if things go bad without having to wait to raise another one from the egg and to maintain some variety in the flock.

I probably won't keep Ludwig the Black Langshan for more than a year, but I like both is beauty and his good temperament. At just shy of 8 months he's fertilizing all but my most dominant hens so subtly that I've never actually seen him mate.

This morning, with Red crowing and approaching a couple of the younger but mature pullets, I saw Ludwig administer a little discipline -- chasing Red a few feet but not pursuing or bullying. Also, I want to hatch some sex-links from him with the French Cuckoo Marans and Dominique girls.

I want some pure Blue Australorps, but I don't know if I'm ready to settle down to just one breed and have all birds that look alike. I want this breed for their beauty, their nice eggs, and because Australorps fit my mental idea of "chicken" almost perfectly.

If it works out to get the Marans eggs from the lady who bought Stripes, I will probably replace Ludwig with a Blue Cuckoo Marans next year -- possibly giving him to my brother-in-law as a yard ornament bird.

Maybe it would work out to divide the flock. Maybe I'll need to rotate rooster breeds. Maybe I'll need to breed Blue Australorps and buy chicks of other breeds to keep some flock and egg color variety (should sell better than all one color). I'm collecting data now and will surely change my practices with experience. :D

OK, I have a little time before I clock in.

My reason for wanting to have 2 different roosters is to have a backup if things go bad without having to wait to raise another one from the egg and to maintain some variety in the flock.

I probably won't keep Ludwig the Black Langshan for more than a year, but I like both is beauty and his good temperament. At just shy of 8 months he's fertilizing all but my most dominant hens so subtly that I've never actually seen him mate.

This morning, with Red crowing and approaching a couple of the younger but mature pullets, I saw Ludwig administer a little discipline -- chasing Red a few feet but not pursuing or bullying. Also, I want to hatch some sex-links from him with the French Cuckoo Marans and Dominique girls.

I want some pure Blue Australorps, but I don't know if I'm ready to settle down to just one breed and have all birds that look alike. I want this breed for their beauty, their nice eggs, and because Australorps fit my mental idea of "chicken" almost perfectly.

If it works out to get the Marans eggs from the lady who bought Stripes, I will probably replace Ludwig with a Blue Cuckoo Marans next year -- possibly giving him to my brother-in-law as a yard ornament bird.

Maybe it would work out to divide the flock. Maybe I'll need to rotate rooster breeds. Maybe I'll need to breed Blue Australorps and buy chicks of other breeds to keep some flock and egg color variety (should sell better than all one color). I'm collecting data now and will surely change my practices with experience. :D
Having a backup rooster is a good idea. Especially if the breed, color or quality is hard to come by. You can have a mixed flock and still get purebred chicks. I would separate your best Australop rooster and hens. Hatch out as many as you want or can. Then add them back to main the flock. The Gamefowl page shows some inexpensive, easy to build and practical breeder pens.

Back
Top Bottom