Suggestions for type of rooster?

finally flying

Chirping
Dec 14, 2018
I am relatively new to back yard chickens. I currently have a flock of year old brown hens, but my laydies don't have a man. I'm looking to find them a rooster and I need a little help finding them a Mr. Right. We live in USDA zone 3 cold climate (ie goes down to -40 for a few nights every winter), so their rooster needs to be cold hardy. Also, I would like to keep the high productivity of the browns in my genetics. What variety of rooster should I be looking for?

Are you getting a rooster just for your hens? Or are you looking to get a rooster as a protector, for chicks, or because YOU want one? When getting a rooster you are really looking for you like best. If you aren't looking to breed true for show, selling, or anything, just pick one with the right temperament you need and the colors/patterns you like. Most standard sized roosters are pretty large on their own which makes them more cold hardy then the hens. If you feel like you need a specific cold hardy breed, I'd go for Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, RIR, or Austrolorps.

Many people have free or low cost roosters for sale. You can look at the BYC Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade, Craigslist, or Facebook Market place.

Last edited:
I would consider Chanteclers. The recognized colors are partridge and white but I've seen splash and buff. Their egg production is 200 annually so not too shabby. They have nice tight combs and were developed to survive Canada winters.
chantelcer-white.jpg
chantecler_partridge.jpg

I'd go for Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, RIR, or Austrolorps.
You South Carolinian, you!
Out of this list, only the Wyandotte would do well in a zone 3 climate. All the others will suffer frostbitten combs. I would rather a bird that was bred to withstand the long cold winters of zone 3.

Are you getting a rooster just for your hens? Or are you looking to get a rooster as a protector, for chicks, or because YOU want one? When getting a rooster you are really looking for you like best. If you aren't looking to breed true for show, selling, or anything, just pick one with the right temperament you need and the colors/patterns you like. Most standard sized roosters are pretty large on their own which makes them more cold hardy then the hens. If you feel like you need a specific cold hardy breed, I'd go for Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, RIR, or Austrolorps.

Many people have free or low cost roosters for sale. You can look at the BYC Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade, Craigslist, or Facebook Market place.
I'm getting the rooster so that I am independent of buying chicks from a hatchery. I also like the idea of having someone to protect the flock.

Back
Top Bottom