1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions on marking chicks for identification....PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thomas423, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I have 4 breeds, 3 chicks each breed. I want to mark each chick so I can tell who is who. I read all the threads on banding and they were not alot of help. We tried putting a small zip tie around one of the legs last night but we were afraid to put it too tight because we will need room to cut it off after they grow some. (they're 1 week old today). The chick walk around funny for a while (it was very funny LOL) and then shook the zip tie off.
    We don't feel comfortable with using the zip ties on them while they are growing so is there any other way to mark them safely. I only need to use three different colors since I can tell the different breeds apart. Can I paint their toes somehow??? Fingernail polish?? Magic marker?? What about food coloring on their backs? Magic marker on back?? It doesn't have to be permanent....just want to know who's who while they are growing.
    Please, all suggestions on what is safe and works. Thanks so much.

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes, you can paint their toenails. There are a few members on here who do that. Just make sure to make a "key" so you remember who has what color.

Good Luck!

3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    i also had the idea of using a non toxic marker to mark them if they are light enough.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    DouglasPeeps--Such a practical, safe and CUTE idea! [​IMG]

5. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    So just use regular fingernail polish?? Anyone on here do it?? How high up on toes?? Do they peck at it?? What about using non-toxic marker on their toes?? Anyone ever do that?? What was the results??

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Just do their nails.

Another option is to head to the fabric store & get strips of colored velcro (or white & write on it). Cut to the length & width you need. No worry about it being hard to remove, either, plus you can resize it - eco-friendly!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I know some use food color... I'm not sure how it's done but I got quail chicks with the males marked with red on their wing. It took a couple weeks to wear off. I think monarc has used it, you might ask her.

Nancy

9. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Quote:At first I thought "Great Idea".....ran upstairs to sewing room and got all my velcro. Problem.....velcro needs two sides to stick to. Do they sell double sided velcro?? Has anyone used velcro sucessfully??

Also, in a few threads people have said that they use zip ties. Our concern with zip ties is leaving enough room to easily cut them off as they grow. Those of you who use zip ties please tell me how you cut them off as they grow. Even the little zips are kinda tough and we don't want to hurt their little legs getting them off. What tool do you use that is small enough but tough enough.

Thanks [​IMG]

10. South Hill Chickens

South Hill Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    We have five chicks, all about a month old, and for a while there it was really hard to tell them apart. We put those little spiral bands on their legs (they had several sizes at the local feed store) in different color combinations (they only had three colors at the store). Ironically, now that they're much bigger than when we got them, I can tell them apart easily and the leg bands are a bit redundant. Either way, they were easy to put on and surprisingly the chicks don't pick at them, their own or their siblings'.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by