Suggestions PLEASE for Human Morning Sickness-UPDATE #56

Basically, she has to keep some food in her tummy or it'll make it worse. Trust me.

Trail mix (just a little handful of nuts, raisins, etc.) works well. I have heard ginger cookies/ginger snaps. Lemonaide or lemon drop candies.

Peppermint candy works for me, too.

Good luck to her! I had 9 month all day sickness with my last two (girls). My boys don't make me sick hardly at all for some reason.

I also wanted to add that I bought a few 'Preggy Pops' from Kickshaw Confections (I'd add a link, but I see they've sold their shop). I do believe they sell them in health food stores and maybe even BabiesRus. Those were AWESOME! Just a suggestion.

I had morning sickness with both of my kids for 6 months....here is what helped me:

Sleepy time tea (it comes in a green box)
Saltine crackers
Mashed potatoes
Red hot candy

Then eventually I had to get a prescription from my doctor.
sickbyc.gif

Hi. Congrats
smile.png

I suffered from morning sickness and found that Ginger Tea had a good natural calming affect on my tummy. I preferred the ginger tea from the health food stores because it wasn't ginger and lemon or ginger and XYZ. It was just plain ginger. I couldn't BELIEVE how it helped me. I nearly became addicted to it. But then found out that you shouldn't have mroe than 3 or 4 cups a day while pregnant. But some ginger tea with honey or sugar is really nice.
smile.png

If she has medical insurance, the next time she goes, have the dr. give her a vitamin b-12 or b6 shot, it works wonders. I had one with my daughter, and it was a life saver. I did not know about the ginger ale, you learn something everyday.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Okay; hope this doesn't seem too far out there - if you can get to a store that sells Japaneses food, or order this on line. Umeboshi Plum is a paste used in lots of Japanese cooking, for bitter taste, important in Japanese cooking.

Has the amazing side effect, if you dab a tiny bit on your tongue, of totally killing nausea. Totally.

Give it a try?

I'm not sure if I have any business being in this thread but I just wanna say you
women amaze me. If us guys had to give birth the human race would be doomed.

Best of luck to your DIL Grandma Ibpboo!!!

Ginger works well for most (not all) people but it has to be REAL ginger -- hardly any ginger ales contain enough real ginger (most contain none!) to help much.

Three good sources of ginger: ginger tea if you like it, crystallized/candied ginger, and a hard candy called "Gin-Gins".

Also, if mornings are a bigger problem, have some ginger or crackers or whatever works for ya sitting on the night table and eat a little bit BEFORE sitting up, then lie/sit there for five or ten minutes before getting out of bed.

I think a lot of people make their morning sickness (what doofus named it *morning* sickness? I had it 24 hrs a day for most of my entire pregnancies) worse by following other peoples' prescriptions for what to eat and not eat. It is certainly worth trying peoples' recommendation but your d-i-l should remember to pay attention to what her body thinks about it and not persevere with something that's not helping or maybe making it worse.

Personally, I was best off eating a lot of spicy food (and Arby's 'Chicken Cordon Bleu' sandwiches, please don't judge me, I was PREGNANT dammit
tongue.png
) and just flat-out avoiding things that made me particularly nauseous (including most green veggies). Take a folic acid supplement, and a pregnancy-appropriate multivitamin if one is eating really weird, but remember that all of the complicated dicta about Thou Shalt Eat THus-And-Such-A-Way During Pregnancy are *almost* totally based on opinion and theory-of-the-day... in practice, as long as folic acid and vitamin intake are covered and you consume enough calories in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters there is really not much of a detectible effect (in research studies) of whatcha eat on how the baby does.

Oh and congrats to your d-i-l
smile.png

Pat, kind of sad not to be gonna having any more kids, although personally I *loathed* all parts of pregnancy except feeling the baby moving around

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom