Suggestions to cover a gap?

deidreg

Crowing
Jul 6, 2020
Connecticut
Hi to all the creative and handy people!

I'm adding 1/4" hardware cloth to my Eglu run. It's working well save one 1/2" gap. See photos below. I'm not worried about predators but I know determined mice will squeeze through. Any suggestions on how to cover this gap? It's 10' long. Thanks!

Eglu HC.jpg
Eglu gap.jpg

Can you cut a narrow piece of hardware cloth to fit that gap? Over lap the existing sheet and “sew” with wire. Or maybe secure it with Gorilla duct tape? If you sandwich the wire between two strips of tape, sticky sides facing, I think you’ll have a durable result.

Can you cut a narrow piece of hardware cloth to fit that gap? Over lap the existing sheet and “sew” with wire. Or maybe secure it with Gorilla duct tape? If you sandwich the wire between two strips of tape, sticky sides facing, I think you’ll have a durable result.
"Sewing" another strip of hardware cloth was my first idea and I think it would work. I just wanted to explore other ideas before I go this route. Thanks!

Thanks! This is the kind of material I have in mind, but not sure if I can fasten to hardware cloth. Also, coop is plastic.
Detach the coop like woodworm is telling you attach the aluminum flashing to the hc with nuts, bolts, and washers so it doesn’t pull the bolt through the hc. Then reattach the run and coop. You might have to just drill holes through the flashing where the coop and run bolt up.

Amazon is nice but your big box stores carry the same and you can be done the same day purchase it. What I would do is remove the zip ties from the end in question slide the flashing under the hardware cloth, the flashing is easy to pierce so you can install zip ties through small slits in you make in it and presto you have a rodent resistance run.

Back
Top Bottom