Suggestions to what this might be????

tgirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
North Metro
This is about a Silkie Pullet who hatched in May and started developing symptoms September 18th.

Day 1
-Silkie pullet acts like there is a piece of tape stuck to her foot and we are stumped on what it could be later that night she wont go inside coop so I put her in

Day 2
-Pullet cant walk and is laying furthest from the corner of the coop

Day 3
-Pullet is inside garage and then laying on her side with legs sticking out like the classical signs of Mareks Disease, I start supplementing her water with electrolytes.

Day 4
-Research begins no signs of improvement

Day 5
-I put dissolved vitamin b tablet in her water

Day 6
-she is standing on her the hocks of her legs and by night she is walking around garage like nothings wrong so supplementing water stops

Day 7
-She is perfectly fine this continues for a few days

Day 10
-Pullet is on the ground again unable to stand (I did not supplement he feed/water anymore after day 5)

Day 11
-Pullet leg is sticking out again shaking all over

Day 13
-Pullet dies

-I HAVE HAD NO KNEW BIRDS SINCE JUNE-

The birds I had her in with chicks ranging from 4weeks-9months old are all still fine and no other birds contracted it... After inspection there is some mold in the coop which is being cleaned out now. When she was younger she suffered from heat stroke I also was feeding them on a grower feed NOT starter or layer, they were not free range... Did she just have a vitamin deficiency and me not continue supplementing her water result in her dying... Why haven't any other birds contracted it yet if it is a badder disease?

Which is one it most likely is?

These things causes Paralysis...
Botulism; Marek's disease; arthritis; aflatoxin poisoning; epidemic
tremor

Could it be?
heat stoke; epidemic tremor; cage layer
fatigue; vitamin E deficiency; algae poisoning; yellow jasmine
poisoning;

Last edited:
So sorry!
I have studied leg problems quite a bit, but have no real idea on what would have caused that. I'm very sorry it happened, though.
hugs.gif

I read you page could it have been a vitamin B deficiency? When I have her tablets she got better but after I stopped and she went down hill once again.

Sorry I lost the hen and another hen in with her came down the same way I put her in electrolytes and vitamin b and she is better now.

Last edited:
You pretty much answered your own questions. Anyone of those issues that you stated could cause the demise of your birds. To be certain what exactly it was or a combination thereof; a necropsy would have to be performed. You can contact your state agriculture department, county extension office or even a vet to find out how to go about getting a necropsy performed.

Back
Top Bottom