Suitable Area for Coop/Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ponderosa2, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ponderosa2

Ponderosa2 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Hello everyone!
    This is my first post. I've really enjoyed reading all of the information so far and have learned a lot. I'm a dad trying to give my two girls a taste of the farm. We live in town, but I've checked our ordinances and we are good to go for up to six hens. We are all very excited to begin our chicken journey. We are at step one, we have made the decision to move forward and are committed.

My question revolves around our selected location for our coop/run. We have an area that is 10 ft x 20 ft on the side of our house. It is already enclosed on three sides. One 20 ft side is the wall of our house (stucco, no windows in this area). Then the back 10 ft is a 6 ft tall wood fence (no gaps, the slats overlap). The other 20 ft side is also the same type of fence. The final end is open. The entire length of the area has concrete at a width of 6 ft, the remaining 4 ft of width is dirt.

I'm wondering if I could use the existing wall and fence sides, and then close the open end by framing it in and covering it with hardware cloth. Also, a gate would be installed in the framed end. I was thinking of covering about 10 ft of the area (I would put a freestanding coop under this area), and then leave the rest open topped, but covered with hardware cloth.

I'm really hoping this will work for a coop/run area. The chickens would have pretty good sized dirt area to enjoy (4ft x 20ft), an easy to clean concrete area (6 ft x 20 ft), as well as having part of it covered (10 ft x 10 ft). Again, the coop would be under the covered area to keep it out of the weather. Also, it would be safe from predators, which would really just be a couple neighborhood cats.

What do you think? Would it be a concern that three sides of the enclosure would be solid? It would definitely keep them out of the weather. It would be cool in the summer and protected in the winter (we don't get any snow, rain only).

Thank you in advance for any thoughts that you may have.

1 person likes this.
  2. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    [​IMG] Sounds like a nice setup for the chicks but you probably want to check your towns ordinances regarding set-backs for 'accessory structures'. My town requires placement at least 5' from property lines and other structures as well as 10' from primary residence. I have an area similar to yours, about 12' x 30', adjacent to the primary structure and completely fenced. I just can't figure out a way to legally site a coop there :( .

2 people like this.
  3. Terrace

Terrace Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Oklahoma
    A dirt patch would make them happy. Concreet not so much.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Adding pictures and location will always help with design advice.
    Good luck with the girls new adventure.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    The location sounds like it might be fine for the chickens themselves but as biophiliac noted, make sure your town/county doesn't have setbacks required for animal housing from both your house and your neighbor's houses, but also property lines. My area has very little in the way of restrictions but I still needed to put some 10' between the coop and the house and the property line (can't remember the exact numbers, I exceeded it anyhow).

Another thing to consider, even if you can have the coop right next to your house, is that chickens and chicken feed can attract pests so do take that into consideration. No one wants a rodent problem in their house!

1 person likes this.
  6. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    I'll second the recommendation to put some space between the coop and your house. We back to farmland, so there are already mice and other critters in the area. No sense inviting them into the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by