Sulmet in eggs?

norcal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Northern California
I just bought some of this stuff.
So, I read the directions, and it says NOT to feed it to chickens raised for egg consumption.

It also says not to use it on calves under 1 month, and I was advised to use it for the runs on my little goats (and already did).

Do I have the wrong stuff? It's the 12.5% drinking solution.
sad.png

Help?!?!?

You can eat eggs after 14 days! The risk is that you will eat the antibiotics and then become immune to that type of antibiotic in the future, but you won't get sick from the eggs or anything.

I know there are different opinions on what to use and for how long and how safe it is to eat eggs afterward. Why are you using the Sulmet? Corid/Aprolium is safer and easier on the bird for cocci if that's what you need it for!

Thanks for your reply.

Why doesn't the package say that? It tells you not to eat the meat for a specific time, but doesn't say that about the eggs, just "don't use with egg laying chickens". I wish they would have more specific instructions on some of this stuff.
sad.png

I haven't used it yet, but was told to use it w/ my goats, I already have it, so thought I would use it. I will look for the Corid.

Thanks!

you need to have a vet explain it to you
I have a friend Nathalie Ross who gave this explanation

I would put them on 7 days of sulmet in the water
for the coccidiosis now that you have it

Nathalie's explanation of sulmet is
Sulmet is sulfamethazine.
Sulmet is used for treatment against bacterial scours in cattle, which just happens to be E. coli.

It also is used against Coryza, Pastuerella, and Salmonella Pullorum in poultry. It's an old fashioned sulfur drug, very broad spectrum, safe for babies, easy to give.

then give them the wet mash probiotic so they can make good gut flora

Here is the way I would use and have used sulmet for coccidiosis

Now what to do and what to feed after medicating for coccidiosis

to make sure they eat the medicated wet mash do this first ans second day of treating and medication in the water 7 days
also I use the wet mash with sulmet or corid

2 tbsp of dry crumbles(chicken mash)
4 tbsp of water
1 tsp of sulmet add to the water

if using corid
2 tbsp of dry mash
4 tbsp of water
add 2 tbsp of corid 9.6% to the water
feed 2 tsp per chicken for a feeding
feed this two mornings to get the medication in the birds
also at same time put the corid or sulmet in the drinking water for 7 days

speckled hen gives corid(9.6%) liquid in 3-4 tbsp per gallon of water
and after medicating give the following things

either the corid amproylium or the sulmet will work but now you have a difficient gut problem with the E.coli
and it needs to have the Vitamin E and selenium put in the wet mash probiotic to help the E.coli gut problem

do this

now the
natural probiotic recipe is is:
1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of milk, sweet, sour, or buttermilk or a mixture of all or some
1/4 cup of non flavored yoguart ( no artificial sweetmer)
mix good

NOW THE IMPORTANT INGRIEDIENT FOR EACH CHICK FED
and add 1- 1000 mg of Vit E by cutting the end off the vit E capsule for each chick fed this wet mash
and 1 seliunium tablet crushed for each chick fed this wet mash
putting it in the wet mash
this for each chick your treating
so for each chick use 2 tsp of mixture and 1-1000 mg of Vit E
and 1 sleinium tablet crushed in the wet mash probiotic
twice a day for them till the manure is solid

and feed each chick
2 tsp full of the wet mash probiotic and what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes
then clean wet feeders and restock dry crumbles

do this twice a day for a week
till the chicks manure is right
then quit the Vit E and selinium make just the wet mash probiotic
then once a week for life

All the while after mdicating the birds use
do not use ACV with medication

2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of the chicken water so their gut flora wil be regulated
they should have this at least 3-5 days a week
then three days aweek after they are over coccidiosis

email me for any questions

If you are sure they have cocci, just dose them and get it out of their system. Cocci is a protozoa. They say do not give to layers because there are people who are allergic to sulfa drugs that can have allergic reactions to eating eggs which may have some residual in it.

Thanks all. They are only 10 weeks, so I don't have to fear about eating the eggs, as there are none yet.
smile.png

Thanks Glenda for all the info. It's greatly appreciated.

-Laurie

So, I gave my chickens Sulmet because the directions on the bottle did not say not to. Now I find out that I probably shouldn't have given this medication to them. I'm sensitive to sulfa drugs. Does anyone know if the medication will clear if I don't eat the eggs until spring or have I totally messed things up? Got the chicks in the spring and we haven't had a single egg yet.

It will clear in 14 days. You should be safe after that. I, too, am deathly allergic to sulfa. I ate my eggs after 14 days and had no issues with them.

Good luck.

I only have five hens and have estimated that they drink 1/2 gallon of water per day so mixed a teaspoon of Sulmet in their water yesterday and there was lots left over and I found more and larger diarrhea splats in the coop this morning, I had not considered mixing the Sumet with food to assure that the hems are getting a full dose and found this thread while researching and thought I'd bump it up.

Other that the diarrhea which isn't bloody (and one shell less egg) the girls seem fine and are laying and maybe antibiotics aren't needed but last week we had one die within hours of her first symptoms and now it looks like two hens have similar watery poop so don't want to risk loosing another.

Back
Top Bottom