Sulmtalers Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tnchickenut, May 13, 2012.

1. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    I have to say that I have really fallen for the trio of sulmtaler pullets I have - going to have to give some serious thought to trying to find a rooster. These are young pullets hatched in late May of this year, in a group of chicks hatched "to order" for me by a woman who got everything really really mixed up. It took me a long time to identify the pullets as I had never heard of sulmtalers before.

wish I had a way of knowing where they came from, but the woman, Kristie K, is unresponsive to any request about the source of the eggs. she has traded quite a bit with various byc folks and others.... in new brighton mn in case that rings any bells for anyone here.

anyone else with sulmtalers in the midwest? I"m northern MN.

2. EdenCamp

EdenCamp Chillin' With My Peeps

If you consider Missouri the Mid-west, there are.........[​IMG]

3. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    Hi Brice,

Good to see you here and on the Bresse thread. I have been reading about your Bresse project which I found very interesting. Have you tried adding milk to the Sulmtalers feed as well?

My Sulmtaler rooster is from Widget and is a total ham and very friendly. My original girls from GFF were skittish but their babies are fairly friendly. Sulmtalers are very food driven so with a little hand feeding they quickly become friendly and pile on top of each other to eat out of my hands. However, if I make any sudden movements they startle easy. We have had hawk issues this summer so they are also on high alert.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. EdenCamp

Oh, and I do have a cockerel I can spare if you decide you need one.

5. lalaland

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    How would that work with you in Missouri? Its a fabulous idea!

6. EdenCamp

Ummmm you find a shipping box? or arrange a Vacation in the Lake of the Ozarks and on the way back say,,,,oh btw honey......[​IMG]

I've heard rumours such has happened...

7. lalaland

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Edencamp, I was afraid it would be like that [​IMG]. I'll have to figure that one out. Thank you for the offer, and if I can figure out a way to do this....gonna have to look at a map and check with everyone I know who will be traveling next spring ( can't imagine trying to drive a rooster home on a 2 or 3 day road trip in the winter!).

8. EdenCamp

(smile) likely better to get a shipping box and overnight - easier on DF and the bird.
    Eggs easier on the pocket. Chicks easier to ship - they grow fast.
    Keep in mind, these are still very rare birds. Not a whole lot of us out there anywhere.
    There's a facebook sulmtalers group - maybe others closer to you can help you out?

9. lalaland

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    yeah, I don't FB. snapchat, though....

anyway, maybe I should consider getting eggs next spring, there is a guy who hatches eggs for a buck an egg. I haven't ever used an incubator and I sure wouldn't start with sulmtaler eggs, assuming I could afford them anyway!

I keep looking at the roos from this group of chicks that had the sulmtalers and hoping I have a sulmtaler roo. I have several with the right feather coloring, but none with white legs. they are getting butchered in two weeks.

10. Bama1

Bama1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    For those of you that have Sulmtalers, what is the youngest age that your hen laid her first egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by