Sultan chicken worried about winter

belindaschicks

Songster
Jun 8, 2016
I got a sultan chicken from meyer they said they were cold hardy now I am learning that's not the case. She doesn't have much down and it gets -25 here in the winter. My run is wraped in plastic during the winter the so the ground stays dry. Their house is well ventilated on top and this year we added more chickens so it should be warmer. I do have a EE bantam that made it just fine last year but she has lots of down and no feather feet. Anyone else kept a sultan under these conditions?

I don't have sultans...am a little worried about my japanese for the same reasons. Do you get snow on you run? Does it pull the fence/plastic down? I put a brooding lamp in my coop when it gets below 20 degrees. The birds sit under it and it helps keep the water from freezing. This year i am going to try a red bulb. Maybe it will be easier to sleep under. I have heard before that it may not be a good idea to heat, because then the birds dont acclimate as well, but i think my little japanese rooster's comb will freeze if i dont heat. It is my first year with japanese

The run is covered and doesn't get snow inside. I don't heat my coop just a heater in my waterer. I used a heat lamp for a couple days when it was -25 as the temp not wind chill. It only brought the temp up 10 degrees.

I have had sultan and silikes for years that have done good in the winter, and I live in northern Minnesota! We always made sure they had a high perch next to a heat lamp or two, and we even threw in some straw in the nesting boxes. Avoid drafts.

The run is covered and doesn't get snow inside. I don't heat my coop just a heater in my waterer. I used a heat lamp for a couple days when it was -25 as the temp not wind chill. It only brought the temp up 10 degrees.
I thought about covering the run, but was afraid the weight of snow and ice would damage the fence. Have you had any problems? What is your run like?

I have had sultan and silikes for years that have done good in the winter, and I live in northern Minnesota! We always made sure they had a high perch next to a heat lamp or two, and we even threw in some straw in the nesting boxes. Avoid drafts.
I hoping she will be ok without the heat lamp. I do have a heat board I can put in there for her to cozy up to if need be. I just don't use heat lamps due to fire risk. I think I will just have to keep a close eye on her.

I thought about covering the run, but was afraid the weight of snow and ice would damage the fence. Have you had any problems? What is your run like?
I have an actual roof on my run. I have a friend who is a roofer and he put a commercial metal roof on my coop. Underneath the metal is 1 and 1/2 inch plywood. I like to say in case of a tornado in hiding with the chickens.

Attachments

• 20180321_130700.jpg
    20180321_130700.jpg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 9
I don't have sultans...am a little worried about my japanese for the same reasons. Do you get snow on you run? Does it pull the fence/plastic down? I put a brooding lamp in my coop when it gets below 20 degrees. The birds sit under it and it helps keep the water from freezing. This year i am going to try a red bulb. Maybe it will be easier to sleep under. I have heard before that it may not be a good idea to heat, because then the birds dont acclimate as well, but i think my little japanese rooster's comb will freeze if i dont heat. It is my first year with japanese
Take it from me, who has experience with this breed. Japanese bantams are NOT cold hardy at all. Both of my males suffered severe frostbite to their combs and toes. And I had heat on them.

Sultans have nearly all the characteristics of a cold hardy breed. Crest, beard, leg feathers and small comb. They should, by all accounts, be able to withstand low temperatures. They do just fine in Alberta, Canada by what I've heard.

Japanese, not so much. Mine fared horribly in the WI winter. Despite being inside the garage with added heat.

Back
Top Bottom