1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sultan laid an EGG!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nupine, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    [​IMG] My sultan bantam laid her first egg today! She is 10 months old, which is quite pathetic. The egg was really weird looking, bloody, pointed on to, wrinkled. But at least it was an egg. I have 2 sultan hens, the roo died last June. So I have them in a run with a cochin roo, who I don't know what to do with. But I am soooooo happy, I ate the special egg in my French Toast today! Hopefully I can find a roo soon. How many eggs should I expect from my sultans?I have heard they are not good layers.

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Congratulations! Yay! First egg! [​IMG]
    I'd be slightly concerned, however, if I were you. Ten months is a long time before the first egg, and then for it to come out all weird...
    Of course, she may just be one of those hens that takes a while to get her reproductive system in gear. Hopefully that is all it is!
    I'm not familiar with the breed, so I don't know what you should be expecting for production.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Congrats!

I have two 10 Month old Ameraucanas and one just layed her first egg 4 days ago. The other one hasnt started yet. They are major slackers,lol.

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

It took forever for my Sultan hen to start laying too. And its very rare that we get any eggs out of her, she's a freeloader [​IMG]

5. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    She laid another, more normal, egg today![​IMG] 2 eggs in 3 days, not too bad for a sultan.[​IMG]

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Glad to hear the next egg was more normal. Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by