Sultan X New Hampshire Red

bycjohn

Chirping
Jul 26, 2018
So I've got a White male plus one Black female Sultan at 16 weeks old. I recently read that they start to lay eggs from around 20 weeks old.

So I was keeping them along with my New Hampshire Reds (3) in the same cage. I was thinking by the tiny size of the Sultans that it would be another 2 months before they start laying as compared to the huge size of the NH Reds (which I thought would be laying first).

Long story short, I got my Black Sultan laying two eggs in a row from yesterday. And to my dismay I found it was the NH Red who's gonna be the daddy. So I would like to know what cross breed will I be getting if I were to hatch those eggs?

The cross would be NHR x Sultan
The color would probably be black w/ red leakage.

Thanks for your response. So will the chicks have feathers on their head & legs like the Sultan or will they resemble NHR?

Do you have to incubated those ones?

Luckily no. I've got a Parrot Beak Aseel hen broody & ready to sit on the eggs. Meanwhile my Sultan which I've named Black Beauty has laid another egg today. I read Sultans only lay one egg a week so I'm pretty excited. The eggs would go under the broody hen tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your response. So will the chicks have feathers on their head & legs like the Sultan or will they resemble NHR?

Luckily no. I've got a Parrot Beak Aseel hen broody & ready to sit on the eggs. Meanwhile my Sultan which I've named Black Beauty has laid another egg today. I read Sultans only lay one egg a week so I'm pretty excited. The eggs would go under the broody hen tomorrow morning.
Yes they will have crests and feathered feet. :)

Yes they will have crests and feathered feet. :)

:wee

That would be wonderful. Sorry to bother you with more questions.

So will all the chicks have the crests & feathered feet?
What actually determines that they'd resemble Sultans than NHR in appearance?
Will the characteristics (other than appearance) be a mix of both?

:wee

That would be wonderful. Sorry to bother you with more questions.

So will all the chicks have the crests & feathered feet?
What actually determines that they'd resemble Sultans than NHR in appearance?
Will the characteristics (other than appearance) be a mix of both?
Yes all will have crests and feathered feet
The fact that crests and feathered feet appear to be dominant controls that outcome. Yeah, other characteristics will be a mix of both such as leg color, skin color and egg color.

Yes all will have crests and feathered feet
The fact that crests and feathered feet appear to be dominant controls that outcome. Yeah, other characteristics will be a mix of both such as leg color, skin color and egg color.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that crest & feathered feet are dominant?

Back
Top Bottom