Sumatra coop???????

stonykill

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Canaan Ny
Great forum. I've gotten many answers over the last 2 years...since I got RI Reds. Over the last week I have gotten many 20 Sumatras..... with potentially 7 more on the way. 4 roosters, a bunch of adult hens, and 4 chicks. My RI reds live in a coop with a run. I discovered immediately, before reserching that Sumatras fly well and dispise confinment. My question is for the upstate NY winters.... what kind of shelter should I provide... that they may use. They all roost at night in a lagre pine tree, right above the RI reds. I understand they are quite winter hardy.... but feel a shelter of some kind... if they will use it on their own, would be good for winter. Any suggestions???? Thanks!!

a few of the boys and one of the girls.......

DSCF0888-1.jpg

DSCF0880-1.jpg

DSCF0889-1.jpg

DSCF0887-1.jpg

and my lone Bantam.... Mr. Attitude!

DSCF0878-1.jpg

Quote:
Thanks! The roosters are quite friendly as well....following me around the yard. The more I look at them...the more I reallize how beautiful they are......

Sumatras do okay in the cold...I have only lost one to the cold and had another one lose part of her foot to frostbite two winters ago. The most important thing is they don't like confinement too much--so the larger the space, the better. Also, deep sand in their run, deep pine shavings in their coop and a HIGH roost are essential to maximum tail growth on your rooster...

DSCN4463.jpg

DSCN4024-1.jpg

DSCN4315-1.jpg

We get to -20s around here with 4+ feet of snow every winter. My coop is insulated and heated with a couple 250w heat lamps. In very cold weather, I lock everyone inside...

Last edited:
Quote:
The door is 12'' x 12" and the ramp's angle makes it okay for them to just walk up and in...the worse breakage is caused other birds (hen's stepping on it) or just dragging the ground. Right now, he looks like crap (these pictures were taken a few months ago). He's in the middle of a molt now and he has like one tail feather!
idunno.gif

Mine are freerange. I just got them last week, and they were freerange at their last owners. I tried penning them and they laughed at the 10 foot high fence and flew right over it. So I intend on keeping them free. They are roosting 10 to 15 feet high in a pine tree, right over the RIR's. So I'm thinking a tall shed, with a conventional door.

Back
Top Bottom