Sumatra Thread!

ep.gif
I LOVE THE LOOKOF THIS TYPE OF SUMATRA!
This is what i am looking to breed for in my sumatras! i LOVE the wild game typed birds!
dont get e wrong! i love the look of all the fowl you all post pics of but this is what im looking for in a sumatra!

This picture was posted on the facebook Sumatra club. It's not my bird!! The name of the poster is a Malay name so I assume he is from somewhere in or around Indonesia. Now this is a gamey type Sumatra!!

Are any of you guys apart of the American Sumatra Association? they have very helpful tips on how to breed sumatras and what to look for in both bantam and large fowl sumatras in the news letters. both Doug and Tom have some really nice tips on what to look for in a sumatra.

looks like he has some thai or something in him also, but yes that's sorta what I was referring too in how WE have taken a breed and totally changed it from it's original version into what we want to call right. The breeds sake is what I was referring to though, not what we want ( though there's nothing wrong with it) I just dont like hearing they arent games, or this is wrong and that's wrong. When infact a show quality bird in this breed isnt even close to what they SHOULD be in a natural state. We so often breed to change things to what looks "pretty". And again, there's nothing wrong with that. I breed for what I personally like as well in all my breeds. But theres more to it than just that. Knowing the breeds FULL heritage I feel is very important when you have a breed you love and are working with... Just happy to see others feel the same way...
Would love to join the sumatra facebook group too by the way, link me up to it!!
Already in a lot of the long tailed breed ones

my avitar is a game sumatra! love my boi Fiff! his mate is a hatchery sumatra.... Flo... lol Fiff & Flo! like bruh man from da fiff flo! lol takin it back to the early 90s!!! MARTIN!!!

Are any of you guys apart of the American Sumatra Association? they have very helpful tips on how to breed sumatras and what to look for in both bantam and large fowl sumatras in the news letters. both Doug and Tom have some really nice tips on what to look for in a sumatra.

This picture was posted on the facebook Sumatra club. It's not my bird!! The name of the poster is a Malay name so I assume he is from somewhere in or around Indonesia. Now this is a gamey type Sumatra!!
That Sumatra looks almost Shamo!!!! O_O

And I've met Doug Akers... He's a great guy!!! His birds are expensive, but they're so worth it, if more for breeding then anything else. I'd like to visit his place someday, and see his layout and birds....
ep.gif

That would be an honor....

To Boggy Bottom Bantams
I agree with you he might have some aseel or thai .The lacking of multiple spurs is another Indication.
His body and legs are too massive for a flighty bird,
I'd love to have the bird to mate with my Sumatras

I know,I know I'm a sinner for trying to ruin Show Quality sumatra.
I'm sorry if I have offended any body in anyway.
But I can't help it sometimes.
I'm a sinner and I think it will be hard to change my ways

Last edited:
I never said that Sumatras should look "Gamey:" Gamey and wild to me are not the same thing, The bird I have as my pic.. to me that is what a true Sumatra should look like, I have been breeding birds for quite a while and my large fowl, are undefeated in Breed. The rooster that is pictured caused quite a stir when he was and won top large fowl in 2005, he would of won Best in Show but he had a couple of broken wing feathers, to me by sayin "Wild" it is the way they carry themselves, they are regal with a high head and there long flowing tail.. they are stream lined and exceptional foragers. There smaller lighter body makes them fast, if it wasn't for my dog, I cannot catch them when they get out. Its about how they carry themselves. I don't want some ol' fat farm bird, I have Faverolles for that. My point on the weight is breed them to weight, for instance I have a Salmon Faverolle, one cockerel is standard to weight and lower bodied, looks like all the pics that fav;s should be.. but what did someone do.. well decided bigger is better, so I have another cockerel, he is HUGE!! He is for show to me when you look at him and look at salmon pics, sure he's the right color, has the beard and muff, has 5 toes, but he lost the look, he is longer legged than he should be.. and is way to big for the weight, Don't get me wrong, he is gorgeous.. but he is loosing the classic Faverolle look. It bothers me, but is a Faverolle, a pure breed.. NO... they are a created breed anyway. made up of crosses of Houdans, Dorkings, and Asiatics. so really what are you destroying.. they were created for eggs an meat, now they are changing for show.. I have a problem with the Sumatras, because they are there own breed. Some as pure today as they were when they we imported, but of course, we humans have to change everything, not always for the best, but I feel that somethings that are pure should remain that way and I am very passionate about the Sumatras and I won't make crosses in to make them bigger or larger breasted or longer tailed, because I think they should have that " Wild Look" I don't want them to have tails like phoenix, I have phoenix for that. Bigger is not always better

Back
Top Bottom