Sumatra Thread!

I have ordered chicks from McMurray in the past, they have all arrived healthy and do great. I have ordered a wide range of birds from them because they have some rare breeds as well, The wyandottes and Leghorns have always been a great production bird for me from them, I get LOTS of eggs, there Easter Eggers seem to be some of the best layers ever. As far as Sumatras, they would be excellent pet quality they have pretty decent type, super nice combs and dark faces from what I have seen, but males are usually single spurred and sometimes have bronzing in the hackle, hens have been good layers though. Had a 4-H that ordered some Buff Laced Polish from there about 8 or 9 years ago and actually the offspring from his originals did extremely well at APA shows for him. After he got out of them though and gave them to a different 4-Her, she wasn't as picky about what she kept and bred and they went south quick. But I have always been happy with them as a hatchery and the chicks are healthy and active, I think after April you only have to order 15 chicks instead of 25 for shipping. Good Luck with whoever you go with, Sumatras are awesome!
Thank you! It looks like My Pet Chicken is sold out at the moment. 15 chicks might be a few too many for us - but I will check them out:)

Thank you! It looks like My Pet Chicken is sold out at the moment. 15 chicks might be a few too many for us - but I will check them out:)
Do you have any friends or neighbors, who might want chicks and you can order together? we've done that before, really helps out

dsfrango, you are very welcome! Good Luck on the 19th!

Thanks! Ill post the results
big_smile.png

The love shack is complete! I must say the USPS did a great job keeping our boy safe. Long trip took less than a day. Thank you infinityhrt for taking time out of your schedule to help out us newbies and make one 4H kid very happy!

The love shack is complete! I must say the USPS did a great job keeping our boy safe. Long trip took less than a day. Thank you infinityhrt for taking time out of your schedule to help out us newbies and make one 4H kid very happy!

Congrats! Hope you enjoy him! He was being a brat when I tried to catch him, glad he is settling in ok.

Do you have any friends or neighbors, who might want chicks and you can order together? we've done that before, really helps out
I'll ask around - but it's probably a moot point since every website looks to be sold out of Sumatra chicks at the moment:(

Thanks for all the help.

why don't you ask. someone I can sell yo some sumatra hatching egg that are pet quality I have some sumatra hens that are from my pet chicken and they are NOT show quality I would only charge you $3.00 for a dozen of her eggs.and the shipping is only $4.00.and if you don't want to get some from me I understand. here is some photos of her.

Last edited:
Is that a hamburgh in one of the pics?
You know how that Sumatras tail is, can you make them more fanned. Because all my hens have tails like that, they have nothing wrong with them other than the tail.

Back
Top Bottom