Sumatra Thread!

One of the show contestants. A drawing of mine. A old English game i drew. probably my best drawing of a la fleche
Wow what an amazing artist you are! With two 4H shows under our belt we have learned to bath them with three tubs of warm water. The first has a few tbs of laundry soap, the second has a few squirts of human hair conditioner, and the third a tbs of white vinegar. Dunk in each in that order with some gentle scrubbing in the soap one. Don't get the eyes wet. Also use a nail file to shape and pretty up the beak and use dog nail clipper for for nails. Then at the show use baby wipes to tidy up and a light amount of baby oil or olive oil to shine feathers. Good luck!

Candled today and have four with veining out of 11. This is our first time incubating and maybe we candled too soon? Honestly 4 would make me happy but I hoped for more. I never thought I would be this obsessed over baby chicks when my daughter started in 4H.

Hi y'all!

anyone ever hear of a cock-feathered Sumatra hen? I have a young roo??? Getting mounted and acting like a hen. Hasn't crowed or laid any eggs and is roughly 6 months old. It also has the smallest comb I've ever seen on a roo....thoughts?

Quote:
Sumatras should have small pea combs, the smaller the better. Young roosters also will "play girlfriend" if they are not the top rooster and these roosters also tend to be slower to start crowing then the top roosters. You can put a picture here if you want our opinions on your birds geneder.

Last edited:
Tom Kernan told me he had a hen with rooster feathers. at first I thought he was kidding until he sent me a photo of her.
ep.gif

There is a very rare chance that it is a gynandromorph or a hermaphrodite. But these aint that common in chickens. I think you have a subordinate young rooster, but pictures would help.

Back
Top Bottom