Sumatra Thread!

Gynandromorph has one type of sex organ (male or female) but possess both male and female looks. A hermaphrodite possess both male and female sex organs.

Then there are a few hens who after a year or two of laying eggs will start to crow and grow male sex feathers, these hens also tend to stop laying once they do this change in feathers. This tends to happen due to a change in hormones or damage to the ovaries.

Last edited:
I didn't know that was possible for a hen to turn to a cockerel.

I'm excited about the show tomorrow, the chucks are all washed and ready. I'm not expecting to do perfectly as its my first show, but I would like to do well.

Quote:
The hen doesn't turn into a rooster, she just stops egg laying and grows the male type hackle and saddle feathers and maybe even spurs (some hens do grow spurs and still lay eggs, they just don't grow rooster type feathers), but she wont be able to fertilize eggs like a rooster can. Good luck at your show

Yes I vacated my all of my flock in september so they should be ready by the show which is in November. The two sick ones are still recovering. I will not be showing them just in case you where wondering. That is one of the reasons why I did not show at the Grant County fair I did not want to spread wet pox to my fellow exhibitors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom