Sumatra Thread!

My black Dutch Bantam hen could fly like a regular bird!! She would just glide over to the range feeder every morning and beat the other chickens there.

My chickens never fly first thing when they are let out. They go straight for the food. Guess iknow the key to their hearts!!
lol.png

Love the splash and the black you guys posted. Gorgeous!!. I love the splash. they are quite a different variety.

Quote:
No mine are all black legged with yellow feet pads on all colors. The splash are this years chicks, still young, but so far still black legged too

I guess I should just keep the ones with the dark legs huh?

So, I've got 3 roos that I can't keep. I'd love to keep one, they're so beautiful!
I'm just wondering, how do sumatras taste? like chicken?
Trying to wait until 16 weeks or so, ones ben crowing just a little, and I think another is copying him, but not much noise yet.

Quote:
I love sumatras too much to eat them,I feel sad for those boys you have (sumatras)
in some cases I just trade them for a table chicken
idunno.gif

roll.png

Last edited:
They taste just like chicken and dress up fairly well. The blck feathers make the plucking a bit harder, but for the most part they dress up well.

Sorry, but they are considered a dual purpose breed you guys.

Boggy Bottom Bantams wrote:
gallo4319 wrote:
I have noticed that the splash and blue sumatras have the dark green legs totally different from the black sumatras , is this the case on your splash ones?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59337_2010-10-24_110705.jpg

No mine are all black legged with yellow feet pads on all colors. The splash are this years chicks, still young, but so far still black legged too

the light colored legs may have something to do with the fact that she is a white splash instead of a blue splash. The lighter varieties sometimes have the lighter leg color.​

Quote:
I love sumatras too much to eat them,I feel sad for those boys you have (sumatras)
in some cases I just trade them for a table chicken
idunno.gif

roll.png

I agree, beautiful birds and I'd love to watch the roos mature, or at least one, but can't where I live
sad.png

My feeling though is, giving them away, then someone else would get to enjoy them as food most likely. You brought up a good point however, I'll post an ad on Craigslist to see if I can trade to someone that wants sumatra roo, for a meat bird, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom