Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Quote:
wow, as indonesia people say nice ayam gallus

rest in peace big feather my ancestors would say.
how old was the big feathers

Last edited:
Quote:
wow, as indonesia people say nice ayam gallus

rest in peace big feather my ancestors would say.
how old was the big feathers

the male was 10 when he died..a happy healthy boy never spent a day caged nor tied..
always ruled the yard and would be the first to greet when i would go outside..

Pretty much all of the gamefowl were raised for food in their original country. That is the purpose chickens in most of the world, especially where they don't have much money or don't show them. Just look at the cornish game and the shamo. Sumatras are no different.

They needed chickens that could take care of themselves, good foragers and fiesty birds. We found these birds and turned them into what you see today.

Sumatras would be a bit tougher to eat simply because they aren't cage raised or cornish crosses. Cornish crosses have us spoiled. Regular chickens are not always tough if eaten at a fairly young age, they just aren't as tender as the cornish cross table birds.

I personally like the taste of a good pasture raised bird. They have alot more flavor and taste a bit fresher.

Quote:
That's great!
That's what I have as well, blacks and blues, I run blue males over the black hens, most will be black, but you will still get a few blues here and there.
Then you can work on your splashes. I finally got a few of those out of my all blue pen this year

Quote:
That's great!
That's what I have as well, blacks and blues, I run blue males over the black hens, most will be black, but you will still get a few blues here and there.
Then you can work on your splashes. I finally got a few of those out of my all blue pen this year

im working on splash sumatra I have some few.
is nice to share info. have a nice day

Well well well, one of my pullets has started laying, at 25 weeks no less. It's the off-type girl, brown head and red face, but she's given me 3 light cream eggs. Pretty good size (medium egg) considering how little she is. She's laying bigger eggs than my Anconas. Good gurl
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom