Sumatra Thread!

I dislike when people make up made up varieties and then show them. Like self blacks or black mottleds (they are just mottled). I feel breeding twards a new variety or project is great as long as the breeders are serious and put in the time and effort. I myself am working on white bantam faverolles. I bought some salmon bantams and when I hatched eggs some turned out all white. From then I have been breeding them to get less salmon leakage in them since they are not the white gene but a recessive gene from my salmon line. Since I want other people to get involved in my project this year I am selling every white Faverolles chick to a great breeder in Ohio since I know she will also give them a great deal of time and effort in breeding them.

I know what you meant Champ, but I hope you know why I put that word with a question mark. I just absolutely dislike it when people make up these outrageous "terms" that make things more confusing to new poultry breeders interested in the breed. I like to keep things simple :)

Oh my
lau.gif
What is worse I told my husband to go outside and pick out the powder puff blues. He said you mean the fluffy ones....right? lol
That is just too funny.....my sides hurt
gig.gif

I dislike when people make up made up varieties and then show them. Like self blacks or black mottleds (they are just mottled). I feel breeding twards a new variety or project is great as long as the breeders are serious and put in the time and effort. I myself am working on white bantam faverolles. I bought some salmon bantams and when I hatched eggs some turned out all white. From then I have been breeding them to get less salmon leakage in them since they are not the white gene but a recessive gene from my salmon line. Since I want other people to get involved in my project this year I am selling every white Faverolles chick to a great breeder in Ohio since I know she will also give them a great deal of time and effort in breeding them.
I love projects and see nothing wrong with a true project. I would think it
was projects that helped create new colors and even new breeds years after
the start of it and if nothing else it helps to teach cause and effect of breeding
traits.

[COLOR=008000]I love projects and see nothing wrong with a true project.  I would think it[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]was projects that helped create new colors and even new breeds years after[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]the start of it and if nothing else it helps to teach cause and effect of breeding[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]traits.[/COLOR]
So do I by me we have a blue mottled Cochin project and they are some nice birds!

Quote:So do I by me we have a blue mottled Cochin project and they are some nice birds!

Good luck with the projects. Its always nice to have a partner in crime.... Good to see you on Zach, hope alls going well for you and yours.

It seems many breeders of sumatras also do minorcas..... or want to do both.

How exciting! I'm glad you are getting those. That's one breed I also love the look of.
Thanks! Both are very striking thats for sure. It's that or i would love to have lavender Sumatras, but not sure I want to start working on another color, but only downfall of the Minorcas is the huge combs, but my sons leghorn hen actually did very well in the regular coop and we had a very cold winter so should be ok.

this is a picture of one of my 8 month old blue pullets. She is very similar to Browning2013 pullet but a bantam. I am not a fan of blues, but I do find the bold lacing striking. Sorry for the poor quality phone image.

this is a picture of one of my 8 month old blue pullets. She is very similar to Browning2013 pullet but a bantam. I am not a fan of blues, but I do find the bold lacing striking. Sorry for the poor quality phone image.

Now THAT'S a properly coloured Blue bird ! No powder puff here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom