Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Hello all....just wanted to say again that I am still looking for a pair or trio of bantam Sumatras. I would like some combo of blue and black. Thanks!
wink.png

Speaking of bantam Sumatras, if anyone sells hatching eggs I'd like some contact, I am pretty dissatisfied with some of the ones I've seen around. I don't want "gamey" hyper-alert ones with high tails, I don't look like ones that look like flattened OEGB, ha ha.

<--Picky person.
big_smile.png

Sev's a good example of what I'm looking for (and, be nice, his face turns properly black. It's March).

100_2249-1.jpg

I'd reaaally love some of the ones from McCallum's Flock, but from what I've heard the quality and hatchability of their shipped eggs is terrible.
If I can't find a girlie for this guy I'm going to put him over one of my littler black LF hens this spring. Even his half-cochin daughter looks like a Sumatra, but with tiny little feather boots.

Nice to see this thread kicking up steam again...

(the edit was for a typo. They irritate me.)

Last edited:
I went out with the camera today to get some photos of my sumatra. These are all this years hatch...
I am quite proud of the small combs and dark faces on my line... the blues and splash have less pigment of course, so faces are generally mroe red.... but their tiny pea combs is awesome, and Im also quite proud of their low tail sets!
I have been breeding Sumatra for about 10 years.... This might be my best year.

My sumatra live with the spalding peafowl, and we just had snow melt, so please forgive the mud.

LOVE this young boys tail set.

DSC_0025 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

Yes... he IS green
smile.png

DSC_0041 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

DSC_0068 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

Blue sumatra - possibly the darkest face on a blue boy I have seen.

DSC_0074 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

DSC_0054 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

DSC_0078 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

DSC_0075 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

This splash boy is the youngest... but check out the saddle feathers on him!

DSC_0033 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

DSC_0035 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

Thanks for letting me show off.

Last edited:
Kat, your birds are positively beautiful and I absolutely cannot wait for next Spring!
love.gif
droolin.gif

You obviously have done a terrific job at establishing a fantastic line of Sumatra.

Quote:
I'll also have eggs in the spring. Bantam black, blue and the occasional splash. Right now however the only girls laying were born this year. All the mature birds are molting. In the spring I should have plenty

I left out photos of my hens and pullets... since some of you are sending PM's I thought Id post a few girls...

one of my breeder hens

DSC_0017 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

not the most flattering pose of her... but you can see this blue girls awesome lacing

DSC_0030 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

This is a very young pullet... not featherd out yet but showing TONS of potential!

DSC_0056 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom