Sumatra Thread!

where they origin come from?
In sumatra itself, i never seen this breed. It is because i live in sumatra. But no one treat or selling them.
Maybe they have died off there, but they are in the American poultry standard from back in 1883, and the original birds were to have come from Sumatra back then.

Figured I'd share this pic. It's not the best but gives an idea of the outline. This is my dun sumatra rooster out enjoying the snow. We had waist deep snow recently and well below 0* F temps and the sumatras are thriving out there.

Maybe they have died off there, but they are in the American poultry standard from back in 1883, and the original birds were to have come from Sumatra back then.
Yep, that's where they originated for sure. I'm almost certain they are still there, but I do get a lot of request to export birds back there every year. So they may not be very common on Sumatra any more. Will check with some of my long tail friends over there and see if they know of anyone there with some for you if you'd like Salim Poultry..

Last edited:
Yep, that's where they originated for sure. I'm almost certain they are still there, but I do get a lot of request to export birds back there every year. So they may not be very common on Sumatra any more. Will check with some of my long tail friends over there and see if they know of anyone there with some for you if you'd like Salim Poultry..
I know we've gotten several requests from the Philippines and the greater Indonesia area over the years to send Sumatra eggs. I remember the first time we got a request from someone in Sumatra wanting sumatra eggs, it gave me a big head. That would be like someone from Rhode Island wanting some RIR's

Figured I'd share this pic. It's not the best but gives an idea of the outline. This is my dun sumatra rooster out enjoying the snow. We had waist deep snow recently and well below 0* F temps and the sumatras are thriving out there.

nice. I know my Sumatra's are unaffected by deep snow or cold weather. If fresh snow they just fly everywhere they go.

anyone know about the contacts, it is difficult in my country to find exotic breed,such sumatra,LF cochin,wyandotte,araucana e.t.c. When i look for sumatra in words. They show red junglefowl.

we know it as a black sumatra that was the way it was sold to us by the name where they came from.
Like yokohamas , when yokohamas are just another variation of minohiki ,but for people in sumatra (Indonesia) it might be known under other name.
And also is not gonna look like the Sumatra in America.
Just look for birds with multiple spurs in dark color with some red feathers
ramirezframing that was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom