Sumatra Thread!

That is a very nice hen! beautiful head, long back, if her bottoms of her feet are yellow, she looks to me to fit the standard, pretty darn close! She is how I like them, long lean and long tail, not short backed and fat,
Nice long neck too, like the standard calls for, Love her!!

ok gust pm me when you are ready to get some sumatra eggs from me because my hens are laying to many eggs for me to hatch out or eat. there is only 7 sumatra hens in the pen and they are laying 12 eggs a day! crazy right
ep.gif
that is not possible. The reproductive cycle is set by day length and generally lasts about 24 to 25 hours. A hen can not produce more than 1 egg a day. Laying later in the day each day until they take a day off. You can't get 12 eggs a day from 7 hens.

if you read the beginning of the standard it says to not go by the painted photos of the birds because it says it is not accurate.I will have to look again to see how full the tail should be as I do remember it does not really clarify how full it should be. and I will tell you what it says.

if you read the beginning of the standard it says to not go by the painted photos of the birds because it says it is not accurate.I will have to look again to see how full the tail should be as I do remember it does not really clarify how full it should be. and I will tell you what it says.
Well i don't really go by the pic, but I quoted from the 2010 standard what it said about the hens tails, I would think that if it was to be well spread, it would say well spread like the leghorn does, its like because the leghorn has a beautiful tail are we going to make all the hens tails look like theirs;; each breed should be what they are, I think 4-H girls hen has a perfect tail if you read the standard and look at her bird, is what your reading describes, shown by what you see.. in my opinion, the answer is YES!

I'm sure the Sumatran tail shouldn't be as fanned out as a leghorn. But it is probabably somewhere in the middle because I know you probabaly wouldn't want it to have a pinched tail

Well i don't really go by the pic, but I quoted from the 2010 standard what it said about the hens tails, I would think that if it was to be well spread, it would say well spread like the leghorn does, its like because the leghorn has a beautiful tail are we going to make all the hens tails look like theirs;; each breed should be what they are, I think 4-H girls hen has a perfect tail if you read the standard and look at her bird, is what your reading describes, shown by what you see.. in my opinion, the answer is YES!

I'd have to disagree. If I were judging a class with that bird in it she wouldn't fare well if there was competition. Her tail should be spread more; not as much as a Leghorn but more than it is. Before you correct me I actually am a Judge.

That hen dose not fan out her tail that much when she is at the show she gets stress out when she is in the cage she is one of the birds I got from Tom Kernan.. so I think she is a good bird.:idunno I was just trying to show not a perfect example but one that would show a full tail. No chicken will ever be perfect.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom