Sumatra Thread!

Sumatra
Large fowl

Origin:Asia
Classification:Light:Rare
Egg colour:White

General characteristics:Male
Carriage:Straight and upright in front, pheasant-like. giving a proud and stately appearance.
Type:Body rather long, very firm and muscular. broad,full and rounded breast. Back of medium length, broad at shoulders, very slightly tapering to tail. Saddle hackle very long and flowing. Stern narrower than shoulders, but firm and compact. Strong, long and large wings, carried with fronts lightly raised, the feathers folded very closely together, not carried drooping or over the back. Long drooping tail with large quantity of sickles and coverts, which should rise above the stern and then fall streaming behind, nearly to the ground. sickle and covert feathers not to broad.
Head:Skull small, fine, and somewhat rounded. Beak strong, of medium length, slightly curved. eyes large and very bright, with a quick and fearless expression. Comb pea, low in front, fitting closely, the smaller the better. Face smooth and of fine texture. Ear-lobes as small as possible and fitting very closely.
Neck:Rather long, and covered with very long and flowing hackle.
Legs and feet: of strictly medium length, thick and strong, Thighs muscular, set well apart. Shanks straight and strong, set well apart, with smooth, even scales not flat or thin.(Note:There is no objection to two or more spurs on each leg, it being a peculiarity of the breed for this to occur.) Feet broad and flat. Toes, four, long, straight, spread, well apart, with strong nails, the back toe standing well backward and flat on the ground.
Plumage: Very full and flowing, but not too soft or fluffy.

Female

Main tail feathers are wide and well spread, the top two feathers curved in a convex manner and carried nearly horizontally. Coverts are moderately long, wide and abundant.Otherwise the general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

Colour

The black
Male and female plumage:Very rich beetle green (Green-Black) with as much sheen as possible.

The blue
Male plumage:Hackles, saddle, wing bow, back and tail very dark slate-blue.
Remainder medium slate-blue, each feather to show lacing of darker shade as on the back.
Female plumage:Medium slate-blue, Laced with darker shade throughout, except head and neck, a dark slate-blue.

In both sexes and colours
Beak black. Eyes very dark brown of black (black preferred). Face, comb, ear-lobes and throat black or gypsy faced (black preferred). Legs and feet dark olive or black (Black preferred).

Wights

Male 2.25-2.70kg (5-6lb)
Female !.80kg (4-5)

Scale of points
Type 20
Head (beak 5, eyes 5, other points 10) 20
Colour 15
Feather, quantity of 15
Condition 15
Legs and feet 10
Neck 5

Serious defects

Single or rose comb. Any sign of dubbing. Red colour in comb, face or throat. Any sign of wattles. Other than four toes. Any deformity.

That's it word for word.
Thanks for posting Raph, I love that they put Pheasant like!! That's it!! what I mean when I say you look at them and they have a wild look to them, I don't term it as gamey really, I guess pheasants are game though, but its just they look natural the way they carry themselves and very alert, "Pheasant like" whew, if only it would of been so easy as that before, to think of pheasant like LOL.

Quote: well the thing is that I did know if my Sumatra's where over weight or not. I have never weighed them so I was just guessing at first. but my sumatras are about same size as Toms.so I got curious, I called him up to ask him if he weighed his sumatras and he had said he dose. he had said that they are at 5lbs to 4lbs. I think my Sumatras are good now that I know. so sorry if I confused anyone.I told you before what I am breed for and it is what the standard calls for and that is all I can say. I am sure not a backyard breeder or a fad breeder. I am sorry you guys but that was a really mean thing to say to someone especially if it is not true. you need to know what they are breeding for before you start ruining someone's reputation.and that is why I am so upset at this moment.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I don't think anything has happened to your reputation. A scale is definitely an important piece of equipment for a breeder. Keep 'em in check. I saw one of Toms black cocks in the poultry press, very impressive rear on that bird, but not giving up on the height. Sorry if it seems I hurt your reputation.

well the thing is that I did know if my Sumatra's where over weight or not. I have never weighed them so I was just guessing at first. but my sumatras are about same size as Toms.so I got curious, I called him up to ask him if he weighed his sumatras and he had said he dose. he had said that they are at 5lbs to 4lbs. I think my Sumatras are good now that I know. so sorry if I confused anyone.I told you before what I am breed for and it is what the standard calls for and that is all I can say. I am sure not a backyard breeder or a fad breeder. I am sorry you guys but that was a really mean thing to say to someone especially if it is not true. you need to know what they are breeding for before you start ruining someone's reputation.and that is why I am so upset at this moment.
barnie.gif
How would we be ruining your reputation, you are the one that says you should breed them bigger, so I am just saying, If your going to show, know your breeds standard and breed to that, don't make them bigger if they are too big you are not breeding to standard. This is not the first site that I have seen someone say breed them bigger, yet they are not a big bird to begin with and I have seen so many other breeds that have grown too big to standard also. I never said any names of any breeder's you were the one throwing the names and saying yours were the same size and yours were 7 and 8 lbs, which is too big. I am saying that I at the shows I have seen Sumatras getting bigger the, bone is heavier, legs are shorter and they are, to me, frumpy looking, more domestic, losing that Pheasant Like look that I like. since they were a more wild type bird to begin with. So I am trying to remind people not to just breed them bigger, but know the standard and breed them accordingly. BG Matt had a great way to weigh your birds, get a little dog kennel and a regular bathroom scale, weigh the kennel without the bird then put the bird in it and deduct empty kennel weight to get your own weight, don't rely on what someone elses birds weigh to determine yours.. weigh your birds, we use a baby scale and my son hypnotizes them on their back on it, works great.

What do you guys like about this hen below?
Good points and bad points.

Oh and there's nine eggs in the nest.

I want to get some sumatras REALLY badly,I read they go broody which is good because I love broodies. And I think this breed will be a great fit for me......I would love to hear about and see some pictures of broody sumatras and flocks.

they will, but I can honestly say I have never had any of mine go broody in all the years I have had them. Then I have never left eggs for them either... but if you plan to use them as such ( brooders)... they aren't going to work for that. Silkies and cochins are far better brooders and setting hens.

Now if you just want your Sumatra to hatch and raise her own, yes they will do that, and are quite good at it. But in the birds I have kept, they never just go broody on their own like many other breeds.

That is why I like the more game bred lines... a game bred line will have more success at broody hens than a line that is strictly managed and hens never are allowed to brood. Much like hatcheries do... they breed out broodiness.
Not bashing anyone just my opinion. I have had crappy hatch rates incubating myself... but let a game hen go broody... they hatch 80-100% every time! And once I get a good piece of land I will start breeding for my own line of game sumatras... well wild at least...lol

Back
Top Bottom