Sumatra Thread!

thanks, the young Sumatra cockerels aren't the best but i like the look of my hen. the hen has a nice horizontal tail, its not very fanned but its an improvement on her mother. the young cockerels are getting wattles and comb, but there's no brown feathers in them and they have nice tail angles so far.

My last day of exams tomorrow, and then on Saturday I'm off to England to see the family for Christmas. my grandpa has bought me a nice Sussex cockerel in England, he is quite big. He should add some size to my Sussex. How are all of you?

Quote: Sorry but that is just my opinion I know you guys are Judges, but just because a sumatra wins dose not mean it is the best of birds. Yes she could have been the best bird of that show and possibly in that area. But I have honestly seen longer backs than that And more rounded heads. That is what I am compering this sumatra up to. If there is a limit on how long the back is stated in the standard then tell me so that I don't go over. A sumatra is an Ornamental fowl they should have a long tails and saddle feathers. (not as long as a Phoenix). To me this bird from Zach N houdan has a really really nice back and tail.

And this is one of my birds

Last edited:
thanks, the young Sumatra cockerels aren't the best but i like the look of my hen. the hen has a nice horizontal tail, its not very fanned but its an improvement on her mother. the young cockerels are getting wattles and comb, but there's no brown feathers in them and they have nice tail angles so far.

My last day of exams tomorrow, and then on Saturday I'm off to England to see the family for Christmas. my grandpa has bought me a nice Sussex cockerel in England, he is quite big. He should add some size to my Sussex. How are all of you?
Glad to hear about your new rooster that your grandpa got you, hope it works out well for you with him. As for me, its still going about the same so I can't complain
wink.png
Hope you have a great visit with your family.

Found this pic of a Selasih from West Sumatra, makes me think that this may be similar to what the original Sumatras may have looked like. This photograph was taken by someone who works for National Geographic.

Congrats on the new cockerel Ralph. I hope he is all you are hoping for
and what nice gift that is from your Grandpa. Glad you will get to see
your family for the holidays.

Found this pic of a Selasih from West Sumatra, makes me think that this may be similar to what the original Sumatras may have looked like. This photograph was taken by someone who works for National Geographic.
that is quite an interesting picture Infnityhrt. I can see how this could be
in the backround of Sumatras as we know them today. Thanks for sharing
big_smile.png

Well we all have an opinion, and I will leave things like length from a picture, or birds mood out. Zach does have a good hen, but If I judge the bird in the picture, I'd say that the legs are too short, the tail is too low, wings too low, feathers too soft, and the breast flat. But it is hard to judge if it is in a lazy mood, especially the tail angle, wing carriage, and leg length. The bird I shared received ovations from many judges at that show which would not be the "opinion" of one judge, because of her willingness to fan her tail, which looks just like the bird pictured in quote of yours, non stop from morning till the champion judging in the evening. I'm glad though that you shared your opinion as well as both judges.

PS. To make things a little confusing, my name is also Zach.

Last edited:
Cubakid thank you for not putting my opinion down. I was only judging her from what I saw in the pic. ;) Sence I gave you my opinion I would like to hear your opinions on my birds. I think you may have seen them on this thred. But if not I will post more pics up here so you can look at them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom