Sumatra Thread!

Well we all have an opinion, and I will leave things like length from a picture, or birds mood out. Zach does have a good hen, but If I judge the bird in the picture, I'd say that the legs are too short, the tail is too low, wings too low, feathers too soft, and the breast flat. But it is hard to judge if it is in a lazy mood, especially the tail angle, wing carriage, and leg length. The bird I shared received ovations from many judges at that show which would not be the "opinion" of one judge, because of her willingness to fan her tail, which looks just like the bird pictured in quote of yours, non stop from morning till the champion judging in the evening. I'm glad though that you shared your opinion as well as both judges.

PS. To make things a little confusing, my name is also Zach.
pictures are very hard to get the actually quality of the bird. The photo you share to me was of a nice Sumatra. Congrats on the Reserve in Show that is an honor especially at a young age. The photo of my Sumatra is not the best because she is holding her tail low. She actually won RIS and Champion Large fowl of the junior show at the show and 3 long time judges expressed their liking of her. Congrats again
Zachary

Zach that was the exact point I was making. Catching a bird in its real pose where it looks like it does in person is practically impossible. She does have great length, and I'm sure other features improve with her mood. Congrats on your winnings as well.

that is quite an interesting picture Infnityhrt. I can see how this could be
in the backround of Sumatras as we know them today. Thanks for sharing
big_smile.png
Yeah, just thought it was interesting too since its a native bird of Sumatra, I'm thinking we named Sumatras, Sumatras, since that is where they were from, but the natives probably didn't call them that, and they could of been very similar to this.

I was not saying that she was a terrible bird as a matter of fact I like her a lot. I was just saying that judging from the photo the back could be longer and so could the tail. That is all. I Know that non of you belive that I know what I'm talking about. But I do. I have learnd all this stuff from expirianced breeders who are mater breeders with the sumatra's, I talk to Tom Kernan on the phone a lot about what to look for in a good sumatra. I also talk to a lot of judges, actually I talked to three judges about my birds this year at the Tucson poutlry pigeon and fancy fowl show. I had really good feed back from them and they had even encorreged me to go to the ohio natonal show.

Last edited:
Yeah, just thought it was interesting too since its a native bird of Sumatra, I'm thinking we named Sumatras, Sumatras, since that is where they were from, but the natives probably didn't call them that, and they could of been very similar to this.
No doubt the folks of Sumatra have different name for the birds. It's
interesting to see the differences and yet the similarities between the birds.

All judges with the proper license participate in picking the show champion and reserve champion of the show. That usually means all judges that judged the show. Cuba kids win was judged by over 5 judges.

Back
Top Bottom