Sumatra Thread!

Raph

Here's a picture of one of the turkeys we had. He is the farther to my current breeding tom in the bbb cross pen. He was under a year old when he snapped his thigh bone. With him being on a diet and having free range time, he dressed out at 29 lbs, so he was about 40lbs alive. Aint bad when you take his age into account. His son is just like him. I am crossing his son to a mix breed hen for meat birds. It works well enough for my needs.

Raph

Here's a picture of one of the turkeys we had. He is the farther to my current breeding tom in the bbb cross pen. He was under a year old when he snapped his thigh bone. With him being on a diet and having free range time, he dressed out at 29 lbs, so he was about 40lbs alive. Aint bad when you take his age into account. His son is just like him. I am crossing his son to a mix breed hen for meat birds. It works well enough for my needs.
Beautiful bird....sorry you lost him so young.

My young pullets also tend to wait for warmer weather to
start laying in earnest. Quite often they will do a few test layings
during the winter and some just go ahead and start laying and
don't stop till the next fall molt. Each bird and each breed is different.
Hope everyone has a good crop of chicks this year.

His a nice turkey, how much do turkey's make?

If you have a smaller coop and you put your laying hens into it, it's a French style of keeping chicken. They lay better.I've tried it over the winter months and its increased my Sussex's laying rate. There's a English style of keeping the chicken which works better over summer months, you just keep them in a larger coop. Well so I've read, In the summer I'll try the English style and I can tell you my result. But if your hatching from hens instead of a incubator, I assume you would be best off putting the hens into smaller coops to encourage them to lay,in turn encouraging broodyness.

Every one who is a new bee to showing or wants to show a sumatra, This rooster in this photo has a well connected tail. See how he has no ruffles at the top of the tail and has a nice smooth transition from the back to the tail. That is want you want to breed for as in the tail part of it.
Thank you for the picture, it helps to have a visual.

Oh your welcome that is how I learn things.
smile.png
Me too. Is this one of your birds? I was wondering how old he is?

Back
Top Bottom