Sumatra Thread!

Picked these two up yesterday froma guy who has been breeding chickens for well over 15 years. 8 months old. Feathers got a little beat up while bringing them home. I also have what I believe to be a leghorn hen. She's about the same age

Would you guys say they are full blooded blue sumatra? They are suppose to be. I know nothing about show quality, such like that,and if they aren't pure it won't matter much to me. I just love the look of these two. The guy referred to them as standard blue sumatra,and mentioned about the powder blue breeders love?

Quote: They look pure blooded to me. It is hard to tell when they are that young. It takes a sumatra a full year to mature. Show birds in my opinion look the best when they are fully developed. Most of the time they look really bad at that age but as they start to age they start to look really good at a year and get better as they age. I hope this helps you.
wink.png

Last edited:
Would you guys say they are full blooded blue sumatra? They are suppose to be.  I know nothing about show quality, such like that,and if they aren't pure it won't matter much to me. I just love the look of these two.  The guy referred to them as standard blue sumatra,and mentioned about the powder blue breeders love?

The color on the female is very nice. It will be interesting to see them when the feathers are back in good condition. A bit red in the face, and the cockerel is showing a lot of fluff at base of tail right now but they're still young, I think they'll mature nicely.

Picked these two up yesterday froma guy who has been breeding chickens for well over 15 years. 8 months old. Feathers got a little beat up while bringing them home. I also have what I believe to be a leghorn hen. She's about the same age

the are pretty good luck with them.

I noticed this blue roo has a blue tail nearly the color of his body
but most of the other blue roos pictured here have dark tails like
their hackles and saddles. Which is preferred, the lighter or darker
tails? BYW Browning.....I think they are pretty.

Last edited:
I noticed this blue roo has a blue tail nearly the color of his body
but most of the other blue roos pictured here have dark tails like
their hackles and saddles. Which is preferred, the lighter or darker
tails?
In a way the lighter tails. However, there really hasn't been a male pictured on here with the SoP color desired. They should have a tail that is bluish slate and each feather being distinctly laced with black.

In a way the lighter tails. However, there really hasn't been a male pictured on here with the SoP color desired. They should have a tail that is bluish slate and each feather being distinctly laced with black.

Right you are. I've seen some posted that identify a "dark blue roo"- dark blue isn't an established variety, it's a cull.

Back
Top Bottom