Sumatra Thread!

So many neat stories. My hubby retired from the Air Force and we moved to 13 acres just on the edge of a small town. My daughter got into 4H and wanted to do animals but she is too kind hearted to put anything to slaughter so she got 4H pullet chain birds. She did a great job raising them. She pretty much did it all on her own as that was the deal but we all really had fun with the birds so the next year we did a hatch and got some heratige breeds. We laid off last year and just enjoyed our birds but the 4H kids did a hatch and had some extras so we ended up with 8 birds and 2 Sumatras. I plan on a hatch in June but haven't decided what breeds just yet.

Here is one of my "girls" (I think) from her outing today.

She looks so scraggly right now. Almost 3 weeks old.

So many neat stories. My hubby retired from the Air Force and we moved to 13 acres just on the edge of a small town. My daughter got into 4H and wanted to do animals but she is too kind hearted to put anything to slaughter so she got 4H pullet chain birds. She did a great job raising them. She pretty much did it all on her own as that was the deal but we all really had fun with the birds so the next year we did a hatch and got some heratige breeds. We laid off last year and just enjoyed our birds but the 4H kids did a hatch and had some extras so we ended up with 8 birds and 2 Sumatras. I plan on a hatch in June but haven't decided what breeds just yet.

Awwwwwww.........that duckling age they all go through.
Just my thought but is standing more like a rooster than a hen......
but I could be way out in left field there. Anyway......congrats!!!

[COLOR=008000]Awwwwwww.........that duckling age they all go through.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]Just my thought but is standing more like a rooster than a hen......[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]but I could be way out in left field there.   Anyway......congrats!!![/COLOR]

She was looking at the cat so she was standing up very straight. I am hopeful they are both girls. No comb event yet on either. Is that normal for the breed?

Quote:She was looking at the cat so she was standing up very straight. I am hopeful they are both girls. No comb event yet on either. Is that normal for the breed?

They are suppose to have a small pea comb and little wattle for both male and female.

Quote:She was looking at the cat so she was standing up very straight. I am hopeful they are both girls. No comb event yet on either. Is that normal for the breed?

They are suppose to have a small pea comb and little wattle for both male and female.
Argggg! My phone makes me crazy. I know the comb type, but how soon can I see it? I have a cochin and a dorking that I can already identify as roos. On the other hand I know it will be a long time until I know about my silkie. Will I know on the sumatra by the comb, or just wait for the crow? :)

I know the comb type, but how soon can I see it? I have a cochin and a dorking that I can already identify as roos. On the other hand I know it will be a long time until I know about my silkie. Will I know on the sumatra by the comb, or just wait for the crow? :)

You will see rooster saddle hackle long before you will see his comb growing. You should be able to tell in the next two weeks with certainty.

-Stephen

Sorry to but in, but I have a question. Is the comb on my cockerel any good?

You will see rooster saddle hackle long before you will see his comb growing. You should be able to tell in the next two weeks with certainty.

-Stephen
Thanks. I wasn't sure what would tip me off first and I suspected because of their comb type it might be something else.

Sorry to but in, but I have a question. Is the comb on my cockerel any good?
I don't know about SOP but I think he is pretty.
big_smile.png

This is just like our story! My mother had 20 or so RIR when I was a kid and I made a pet out of one that outlived all the others as a free range bird. Her name was Mergatroid. Fond memories. Then my now 11 year old got into the poulty layer hen project three years ago. The second year a 4H family gave us three hens for exhibition and to train for showmanship one is our Sumatra. She is my favorite and not a showmanship bird. She won best AOS and was runner up for reserve champion of show. We have been trying to breed her ever since. With no luck! Now our family will have two 4H'r kids this year as my little one will be 5 (a cloverbud). Us girls love the poultry life. My husband not so much.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom