Sumatra Thread!

The sumatra hen whose eggs I attempted to incubate are all duds, is now sitting on her little nest of two eggs. I intended to keep collecting her eggs, oh well. But I am so proud of her she comes off the nest every morning when I am feeding horses and critters and comes straight to me for treats (dried meal worms) then gets a drink and goes right back to the nest.
She started sitting a week after I started the bator. There are a few Rock eggs progressing at this point. Hoping she will raise those babies if her two eggs are duds. I am have no hope that her two eggs will make it after the almost dozen in the bator didn't even vein. I plan to switch her eggs out with the live babies in the night, after a good candeling of her eggs just in case. Do you all think she will notice that the Rock babies will be hatched a week earlier than she thinks she need to sit for?

Raph, looking at the comb alone on your cock bird, it shows potential in that it is low at the front and close fit to the head. It also is mulberry in color, which is to both standards. I cannot load the picture on my phone so I also cannot make the assumption he has the three low lengthwise ridges on it. :)

Combs are a huge pet peeve for me especially breeding sumatras to the standard. It might be my downfall but I personally cannot overlook it.

The sumatra hen whose eggs I attempted to incubate are all duds, is now sitting on her little nest of two eggs. I intended to keep collecting her eggs, oh well. But I am so proud of her she comes off the nest every morning when I am feeding horses and critters and comes straight to me for treats (dried meal worms) then gets a drink and goes right back to the nest.
She started sitting a week after I started the bator. There are a few Rock eggs progressing at this point. Hoping she will raise those babies if her two eggs are duds. I am have no hope that her two eggs will make it after the almost dozen in the bator didn't even vein. I plan to switch her eggs out with the live babies in the night, after a good candeling of her eggs just in case. Do you all think she will notice that the Rock babies will be hatched a week earlier than she thinks she need to sit for?
Can't say if your sumatra hen will take the chicks a week early or not, as each hen is different. If your sumatra hen's eggs that she is sitting are also duds, you might want to try crossing her to a different rooster if you can. Hens can reject a rooster, I have had it happen with one of my polish hens. If after you cross her to a different rooster and you still don't get fertile eggs, she might be sterile.

Hopefully someone else will chime in to help you more.

Can't say if your sumatra hen will take the chicks a week early or not, as each hen is different. If your sumatra hen's eggs that she is sitting are also duds, you might want to try crossing her to a different rooster if you can. Hens can reject a rooster, I have had it happen with one of my polish hens. If after you cross her to a different rooster and you still don't get fertile eggs, she might be sterile.

I would just give the same advice as ramirezframing just did.

They are the only two Sumatras we have. I have seen them breed, but not too much. But I did see them breed a couple times during the time she was laying when I was collecting her eggs. She did have a few fertile eggs last year when I incubated I think it was 8 eggs. But none of them made it. I about to give up on them. She is an older hen I think about 5 years old. So I am guessing she is no longer sterile.

Our weird sumatra hen that is always underfoot never produced any fertile eggs until this spring. She is 5-6 years old or so and always hated other chickens. She was running loose in the shed with an overly sweet bantam leghorn rooster. We stuck some eggs in the incubator just to see, sure enough there are 5 chicks from her and him. Now that she is out with the other birds, she hasn't produced any more fertile eggs.

She seems to have a purple and green sheen to her feathers. But she's finally getting them face feathers. 9+ weeks old now and not showing any comb development, so I will assume from this point on she really is a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom