Sumatra Thread!

Blue kote says cattle can be treated with it, aren't cattle considered to be a food animal? Anyways anything that contains antibiotics should not be eaten same goes for eggs for about 28 days. I am sure turmeric powder tells you that you should not to eat the animal or eat the eggs for certain amount of days am I correct?
Turmeric Powder is actually a human food cooking ingredient, it is what makes curry powder yellow it is one spice of many in the curry mix, turmeric sometimes occurs in other foods as a food colouring (example custard). To get the most medical use you need the straight turmeric powder.

From my research on it, it is antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-microbes, anti-cancer, does tons of different stuff all good for the body and immune system both human & animal. It is heavily used in Asian/Middle Eastern cultures in both cooking and as a medical herb for healing both people and most often roosters in those cultures. Supplements are available in the West, but I strongly suggest you research any pills before paying big bucks for a common spice.

I used Reg Yellow Turmeric Powder in my healing of my critters (who hurt themselves). I am currently adding it to my dog's diet to boost her immune system.

I'll have to keep that in mind, and hide a jar from the kids.
honey is great we had a blue laced red hen once that we thought the neighbors dog must of got but found her a couple days later with half her back opened up and maggots in it . We were taking beekeeping classes at the timme and they were talking about all the benefits of honey, one being bacteria cant grow in it. Since she waa my favorite hen i thought we have nohing to lose. You could even see part of her spine. Poor thing we just filled the wound with honey gave her some antllbiotics and filled her crop with warm water and vitamins. The next day no maggots no oozing put in more honey more fluids. Bu that evening she wasstanding and pecking at food. I thought she was a goner and very suprise how fast it worked. We also had a peacock that had a bad injury by the time we could catch him he had maggots again honey and next day there was just a little pocket under the skin that had a few filled it with honey and kept him in a clean pen. Good as new, i swear by it!

Honey works wonders for wounds as well. My reconstructive surgeon would always apply honey to my wounds after he replaced stitches and such. We've used it on chickens quite a bit and it does great. Honey wont allow anything to live inside a wound and it is natural.
I must admit I had forgotten about honey and it's healing properties.
Thanks for reminding me FMP
thumbsup.gif

I still have that hen who got half of her side rip open. I will take some photos of her side just to show you guys that it has heald well with using blue kote. Hopfuly this silly game of my treatment is better than yours will stop. It's childish.

Last edited:
I'll have an easier job finding the swat jar then the honey, but I'll try to hide a jar of honey from the kids (who inhale it) and try it out. I had a 2 year old cornish rock cross hen that got a real bad rip down her side from a rooster. I rinsed it out really well and just kept putting swat on it. After she was healed, you could still see the scar if you moved her feathers, but without moving her feathers no one would have known it was there.

I think it's great to be sharing our different ways of treatments for wounds.

This is great that we are sharing ideas and I for one am
learning some new tricks.......thank you for the ideas and
leads on the spices and honey. I'm thinking of maybe trying
out a combination of spice and honey into a suave.

Last edited:
I find these discussions interesting, because I always learn something new (to me). I believe in learning multiple ways of dealing with stuff, I look at it like tools in my toolbox, the more tools the better. I don't see one way better, only ways that work. I have no problem grabbing a modern medical fix or a traditional cure, I believe in fixing the problem, with what you got or what you can reasonably get.

I have been in some weird situations in my life, and knowing both modern & traditional ways of doing things gives me options in an emergency. Knowing archaic stuff has come in handy more then a few times & when used in conjunction with modern knowledge it can be really useful stuff.

big_smile.png

Peace

I have heard use raw honey not some of the store honey because they add water to it, but raw is just natural, we get ours from local beekeepers since we no longer have hives of our own

This is great that we are sharing ideas and I for one am
learning some new tricks.......thank you for the ideas and
leads on the spices and honey. I'm thinking of maybe trying
out a combination of spice and honey into a suave.
I am the kind of person that enjoys the natural things. Like when I get a bad headache at work, I'll smear uddermint lotion on the spot that hurts, I also have used plain mint oil too. Or if your birds poop is too runny, give them cracked corn to firm it up.

I love sharing these kinds of things. I'll post more tomorrow as I think of them.

Back
Top Bottom