Sumatra Thread!

Got a few questions that hopefully someone will feel like answering. How far do you regularly travel when you show? How do you get to the show? How far would you go for a show? Just some stuff that popped in my head while I was feeding the critters.

Got a few questions that hopefully someone will feel like answering. How far do you regularly travel when you show? How do you get to the show? How far would you go for a show? Just some stuff that popped in my head while I was feeding the critters.

For us, we have to go to the coast (5-7 hours) or Montana (5-6 hours). We may be going to Stockton this winter and still planning on Ohio next year which is about a 35 hour drive each way.

My bantam Sumatra has gone broody on something like 14 eggs, the eggs are the CarlislecrossSumatra. I might leave 6 eggs under the hen and see what comes out. Do you think the offspring would be nice or not?

Quote: Thank you for your answer. If you do get to go to Ohio (which I hope you do) will you drive straight through with other people (taking turns driving) or will you stop at hotels? If you stop at hotels, where do you put the vehicle with the birds in it so no one hears the roosters going off (mine go off at any time which is why I ask and I prefer not to be kicked out of a hotel at O am in the morning). Thanks for any information in this, if the kids get heavy into showing this could determine what shows and how far they get to go.

By the way, just seen a piece on the news about wild fires up in Washington and Oregon, hope none are near any of you guys and all stay safe.

My bantam Sumatra has gone broody on something like 14 eggs, the eggs are the CarlislecrossSumatra. I might leave 6 eggs under the hen and see what comes out. Do you think the offspring would be nice or not?
By nice do you mean pretty on the eye or a nice temperament? To me, they should make a pretty colored mixed bird, they should also have a good temperament to people. Now when it comes to other birds, might not. I have 2 birds that have killed a few of my birds, needless to say they now sit in the same pen and have for over a year now. I figured they would either kill each other and I'd have chicken dinner, or there was the odd chance that it'd be love. Needless to say they haven't fought once, but I won't hatch any of their eggs either. Even though they have killed a few birds each, they have never once gone after me.

Do you still have your sumatra rooster that had the red in him? You might be able to work on that color with the hens off of this cross. Just a thought. Good luck with your new broody.

Back
Top Bottom