Sumatra Thread!

So I am a bit disappointed. Went to the Ohio State Fair this weekend, and of course I was excited to see the chickens. Was really hoping to see these guys in real life...I know my girl is only hatchery quality so won't be as pretty, so would be cool to see what an SOP bird looked like. Only 3 Sumatras that I could find...one girl who had won "best other breed" that was pretty, another less pretty girl, and one boy...very bedraggled in my inexperienced opinion. I've seen prettier birds just in the pics on here. Didn't see any of the Cubalayas or more "unique" birds...most of what was there was barred rocks or RIR, and a ton of bantams...don't know if it was because it was the last weekend or what. But I was disappointed.

Summer is a horrible time to show birds. They are molting or ready to molt.

Walt

So I am a bit disappointed.  Went to the Ohio State Fair this weekend, and of course I was excited to see the chickens.  Was really hoping to see these guys in real life...I know my girl is only hatchery quality so won't be as pretty, so would be cool to see what an SOP bird looked like.  Only 3 Sumatras that I could find...one girl who had won "best other breed" that was pretty, another less pretty girl, and one boy...very bedraggled in my inexperienced opinion.  I've seen prettier birds just in the pics on here.  Didn't see any of the Cubalayas or more "unique" birds...most of what was there was barred rocks or RIR, and a ton of bantams...don't know if it was because it was the last weekend or what.  But I was disappointed.
Well I hope you saw the White Faverolles LF. A breeder that I have been getting birds from and I sold some of my white bantam stock too showed at the Ohio State Fair. Her birds are beautiful and I think she won Reserve Cont. On a White LF Hen and Best FL on one of her awesome bantam salmon faverolles

Last edited:
Thanks @palamino paul
@Coop Scoop Boogie I am happy I just wish I could breed them together Lol.
@fowlman01 They are sweet and all around me but i put them with others and they dont do so well. hen goes crazy and flies away and roo pecks everyone on the head (rips off feathers or flesh) they are only 2-3 months old. They are going to be satying in a 2 X 2 X 2 pen alone. I am planning to show them at the Fresno county fair in October since they now have a Utility class and a Non Standard Class.

I am wanting to bring the more game like figure into my sumatra birds with this pair so hopefull when they grow up they do well with opposite sex birds.

They guy i bought them from breeds for fighting type but he has some really nice birds at the same time. he was at a swap meet so alot of the people there just purchase to eat but they light the fighting type birds more for some reason. nobody likes the actual meat hens to eat LOL. Alot of the birds there that sell are game hens and oriental fowl. But i agree, they are nice to look at lol. the sumatra/asil Pullet i got acts like a roo with my sumatra hens. Both of their hackles stand up and they look at eachother for a while.

They guy i bought them from breeds for fighting type but he has some really nice birds at the same time. he was at a swap meet so alot of the people there just purchase to eat but they light the fighting type birds more for some reason. nobody likes the actual meat hens to eat LOL. Alot of the birds there that sell are game hens and oriental fowl.  But i agree, they are nice to look at lol. the sumatra/asil Pullet i got acts like a roo with my sumatra hens. Both of their hackles stand up and they look at eachother for a while.
I'm trying to find a trio but not having much luck not many of them where I live

I raise Asils and they start killing each other at about 6 weeks...sometimes sooner. It takes some experience to know where you can get by with a group and where you can't. Even my females are aggressive. Are you sure you want that behavior in your Sumatra's?

Walt

Back
Top Bottom