Sumatra Thread!

Sorry I have not been on lately. When I was at the Sumatra nationals in December in Knoxville, TN there were about 25 Sumatras LF and bantam in Junior and about 75+ bantam and LF in Open. I placed in youth BV,RV Blue, BV AOV and BV Blacl/Best Bantam Sumatra in LF I placed BV AOV and BV Black/Best Largefowl Sumatras here are some photos of my BV/BB winners and the show the photo of my bantam Sumatra hen that looked amazing came out pretty bad so I won't post it I need to get a new one of her and all te photos with the blue background are Poultry Press photos that were emailed to me.

Hi folks. I haven't posted for a while but the blue sumatra roo and hen I had were killed by a dog. A couple days before this I was able to gather a few eggs from my white rock hen x blue sumatra. My sumatra hen had quit laying so hers were not available.

Anyways, of the white rock x sumatra cross I was ale to hatch these two, what I think are great looking birds. However, I am curious on the sex. they both act entirely different, and hold their statue different from one abother, so I suspect one being male perhaps? The blue always looks like a hen to me, neck tucked, fluffy appearance. The black one is almost always standing as straight and tall as can be, and looks more slim-like.

Blue was hatched November 29. Black was hatched December 2.

Every one I have asked on fb says blue is definite hen but it's about 50/50 on the black one. I really hope it turns out to be a rooster. I realize at this time it would be more of a guessing game, but feel free to give your opinions.

At 3 months old, most young males start to grow in the secondary "sex" feathers. These come in the saddle, hackle, and wing bow areas. Some grow them quicker than others. I find it interesting that the black has brown showing up in it. Would be nice to see pictures as they continue to grow. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom