Sumatra Thread!

I went to the feed store and did not get a single chick... I believe a lot of breeds where incorrectly labeled, RIR should not be grey looking, the RJF where not like any JF chicks I have ever seen they where definitely crosses with mystery breeds and though all the same age vastly different sizes and stances and yes the picture used for them showed RJF, the feed store said the hatchery assured them RJF come in different colors, I know what RJF chicks look like and these looked like weird mixes of Cornish, maybe sumatra and who knows what else. And then there where way too many sick & dead birds (I know they die but when I worked in a feed store, we where quick to separate sick chicks out from the healthy right away). So I got nay a bird... sigh.

I am really sad the RJF where fake, I was willing to risk picking S/R if they had been actual JF, but not for mystery mix.

Well pooh =/ I pulled seven clears between my purchased and swapped eggs with only one clear from swapped ones, probably swapped ones were collected last minute so were the freshest.. But any ways I've still got 13 developing I think so now it's a waiting game =)

I thought I would share the built coop... I need to reposition it a bit on the brick, as I could not get the ground as flat as I wanted. I will then line around the frame with bricks (to block those gaps). I need to add feeder, waterer or watering system, and the kitty litter pans with sand next. I don't know if you can see but it has a nesting box on the outside as well. I think I want to add a way to open the coop door without opening the coop pen too. This kit brand Precision was easy to put together all I needed was one tool a philips screwdriver. All those years of playing with Tinker Toys and Erector Sets as a child instead of Ballerina Barbie (and being bullied for it) finally paid off! Really it was easy to put together, I thought it would be way harder, and require more than one tool before I started building it.
big_smile.png

Hi, new to the forum so be kind
wink.png

Any ideas on gender of these guys, still young, all 3 look the same so far! 3 hens or 3 cockerels?

The one on the left is definitely a cockerel. Look at his saddles and hackles. Roosters in most breeds have pointed saddle and hackle feathers. The one on the right could be either one. Look through its neck feathers and saddle carefully, and examine the feathers coming in. Are they pointed or rounded at the tips? Pullets tend to have rounded feathers.

Last edited:
So I had a terrible predator break in, think it was a raccoon and it killed my best blk SQ hen and my only 2 blue pullets:( Is there anyone here in the New England area that has blue hens for sale by any chance? I'm in CT and can drive a ways for pick up but if not I could pay for shipping. Thanks

Hi. Can anyone here verify that this little one is a Sumatra or not? I bought this little cutie with 5 other bantams from the feed store who had a shipment of bantams from Ideal hatchery. It was suggested to me that this little one could be a Sumatra.

Back
Top Bottom