Sumatra Thread!

It's pretty hard to tell with these birds, at least for me.
if you're happy with it, that is all that matters
good luck and have fun with them

Well I was not able to get Sumatras, my hubby was too worried I would pick a boy out of the assorted bantam straight runs, and I was not allowed to handle any of the chicks at the feed store to do sexing so my choices were none of the cool breeds but laying breeds and since I wanted birds no more than 4 lb. I went with hatchery Amercuanas aka EEs (Ideal) to get back keeping. (I still plan to add Sumatras & RJF down the road) I was picky though, darker legs, chicks need to be wild marked, and beards. I picked two different colored ones... that way I can easily distinguish the chicks. I did use my old sexing trick when I got them home, if I did it right they should be pullets as advertised. The dark one is a jumper, she jumps straight up and spins around to face a threat, she is going to be a flyer, she is also slightly larger in general... I like that sort of spunk, the other lighter one has shown no such behavior. I think the dark chick is more dominate of the two. I have had them for a few weeks now. I really hope the flyer is not a boy... I do have a piece of furniture I could turn into an indoor coop
wink.png
(but hubby might object to that idea.)

And when I first got them:

Anyhow not Sumatras but maybe blue/green eggs?

It will be interesting to see how they feather out. At this point it looks like Willow Legs on both so score one on being picky about the legs.

Back
Top Bottom