Sumatra Thread!

I hope I can get a few questions answered from some Sumatra keepers :)

-Are they cold tolerant? I see they have little comb and wattle flesh so I thought that was a nice perk in Vermont.

-Egg production? I've read conflicting reports of about 100 a year (or not many), to being "abundant" layers.

-Do people have trouble getting them in coops for the night, or are they partial to trees? 

Hello, straight to answers, yes they are cold hardy. Egg production will vary depending on genetics and light. Just like any other chicken with putting bk at night, they'll go in on their own if they are raised or kept in the coop for a couple weeks.

This was the last and strangest looking chick I pulled out of the shipping box from a bantam assortment special. Compared to all the japs, Cochins, and D'Uccles I got, this one stands out to say the least.

'Ugly', as this poor Sumatra was lovingly dubbed, has defied what I'd read to be a flighty breed and become a real sweet lap chicken. :love

I have 20 Sumatra chicks now- all around the 3-4 week age of the one you hold right there. I am new to the breed, but I find them fascinating so far.
The chicks aren't exactly cute or fluffy by any means, looking instead like little black vultures or dinosaurs...or some other bird of prey. But that's okay!
They really handle well and while they jump, fly, and turn on a dime like most games, I wouldn't call them bantams nor flighty. They seem to be making good lap birds so far, so I'm pleased with the docile nature of the breed.

I'm very happy they threw Ugly in the box for you. I think you're really going to like her and will probably be ordering a flock of Sumatras in the near future. :D

They're my little black pearls :love

She's a hoot, that's for sure! Well, besides her bad habit of pecking at coopmates' earlobes... And I'm sure the name won't fit in a few months when she matures, they look drop dead gorgeous as adults. Black pearls, now that's some lovely imagery!

I do wonder how much bigger she will get compared to the bantams. I've seen limited records of 'bantam' hens getting to 1.5 pounds, and standards to 4ish. My tiny japs are too be dwarfed no doubt.

She's a hoot, that's for sure! Well, besides her bad habit of pecking at coopmates' earlobes... And I'm sure the name won't fit in a few months when she matures, they look drop dead gorgeous as adults. Black pearls, now that's some lovely imagery!

I do wonder how much bigger she will get compared to the bantams. I've seen limited records of 'bantam' hens getting to 1.5 pounds, and standards to 4ish. My tiny japs are too be dwarfed no doubt.

Sumatras and other games - in my mind- strike me as more intelligent than your meat/egg breeds. But this is probably just my imagination. :lau Anywho- I do know that they require more mental stimulation than some other breeds (breeds that do well in confinement. Sumatras and games are not breeds that do well in confinement for this reason.) I had one Sumatra chick that got into vent pecking. Fortunately, with the addition of some bird toys I found in a canary cage, she forgot all about that habit.
Sumatras are supposed to reach 4-5 pounds. A lot of people are confused when hatcheries categorize them with Bantams- but truly, the Sumatra chicks don't ship well with large breeds. People at McMurray were complaining that they arrived trampled to death so-
She will probably be one of your largest chickens one she matures.

I'm sooo excited to see them as adults!

IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0339.JPG
Growing up so big and brave! And so very, very quiet too.

Yes, they are a quiet breed, and while they are a little flighty among themselves when one goes into a flap or flies, they are turning out to be very friendly, sociable, and tame.

So glad you're happy with yours. I'm in love with mine.
In case anyone knows, I'm looking for a method to ensure green feathers in mine. I've heard it was stress and or lack of protein that caused purple sheen. I've got a mix of both in mine currently but figure I should wait until after their first molt to see more of the beetle green sheen.

IMG_1731.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 9
Yes, they are a quiet breed, and while they are a little flighty among themselves when one goes into a flap or flies, they are turning out to be very friendly, sociable, and tame.

So glad you're happy with yours. I'm in love with mine.
In case anyone knows, I'm looking for a method to ensure green feathers in mine. I've heard it was stress and or lack of protein that caused purple sheen. I've got a mix of both in mine currently but figure I should wait until after their first molt to see more of the beetle green sheen.

View attachment 1082135
Look at those pretty babies! I'm not sure about the sheen, my girl definitely shows both on her shoulders.

Don't they just evolve right in front of you? Ugly is a bit pinheaded in appearance as her body is growing so fast, but she's becoming such a special bird nearly over night.

Looking at online photos black sumatras- I'd say the small heads are a feature of the breed. It seems to be common among game fowl, which the Sumatra seems related to in that it is a more primitive breed.
I am not a fan of big saggy wattles and finger combs. I like rose/pea combs with refined faces, which is perhaps why I am liking this breed.
sumatra_2016_PSC.jpg

Once her hackle feathers come in she should look less pin headed.
Ah.... I may just hang this up in the coop to inspire them. :wee

Back
Top Bottom