Sumatra Thread!

144.JPG
155.JPG

Some of my kid's birds.

She’s not so keen on this snow stuff. But my how she’s grown up! Even laid her first egg the other day at 7 months old.
View attachment 1218005 View attachment 1218006
Mine are at 5 months, the boys are looking great (from Meyers stock) but I have three. I was out in the yard distracted on the cell phone and was struck from behind by one of the boys(first time occurance and we are at 60 degrees F). The single spurs are just coming in now. I figured it was best to turn and chase him for behavioral training so I just turned around and ran him off showing who is the alpha and who runs away. I really want to keep all three of my roos as we have plenty of hawks here, but still if I get hit from behind again that boy is going to get culled out of the flock. So plan to add some Ideal pullet stock to the flock in late spring. I am just hoping I get to keep all three of my roos. Congrats on getting your first egg!

I only have a single Bantam pullet from Ideal. She’s been an amazing bird so far.
View attachment 1210856
I do like her tail angle a lot, her face isn't really gypsie in color quite a lot of red in it vs pure black. Regardless I like this breed and her curves are just looking near perfect. Breed standard drawing included.
sumatra female.jpg

Attachments

• sumatra male.jpg
    sumatra male.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Does anyone know if ideals sumatras are good
I think that since you are in New York you might consider Meyers stock vs Ideals. Since Meyers were bred in Polk, OH vs a Texas bread one from Ideal. I was seeing much heat stress from my OH stock last summer/fall/early winter for me with the OH bread ones. I think Meyers only sells the Largefowl, but if you need a bantam then it appears you can get those from Texas. According to @TattooedChicks posts.

I do like her tail angle a lot, her face isn't really gypsie in color quite a lot of red in it vs pure black. Regardless I like this breed and her curves are just looking near perfect. Breed standard drawing included.
View attachment 1218444
I was hoping her face would stay dark too, but it seems as her hormones flushed it’s started to redden, and with all that white light bouncing back from the snow its easy to see. Just now growing that wee rough patch into something of a comb, and her waddles are so small. I did notice what looks like a white feathered freckle under her eye too. Love her shape though, especially the top line and breast development. She’s one of my most handsome looking birds, at least in my eyes.
2F7FFAFF-355A-4CC8-B916-F4C44D0687FC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom