Sumatra Thread!

In a follow up post I am so looking forward to my next roo from Longtails. They had posted here previously in the Sumatra thread and are a Texas breeder. I am expecting to receive this roo Friday in the early AM and willing to bet he is totally bred to SOP.

He may be a black or blue but I just don't care either will be appreciated to fix what is wrong with my livestock. The red wattles and combs were unacceptable to me and the lack of heat tolerance as well.

First egg from a Black Sumatra today! She was hatched out 21 July 2017, so good timing on putting a nice roo into the mix.
IMG_3290.JPG

Got lucky and hatched a Sumatra/ Japanese cross from my Bantam girl who lays the least of all my birds. Chick looks so much like her I almost couldn’t see any of my btw Jap in it besides a change in head shape and some higher tail carriage. 3 weeks old, it’s the only solid black chick in the video on my Instagram. Very curious as to how this bird will show the parent traits, especially in the tail. Almost hope it’s a boy just for that alone. Shy behavior says pullet to me though.
https://instagram.com/p/BfhB-xhH0Mo/

https://instagram.com/p/BfYVQYtHqcs/

We ordered a few blue Sumatra’s along with Yokohama and Phoenix. I have a few Phoenix already. We also ordered a few Crested Cream Legbar Welsummer Olive Eggers. Cackles chicks are doing great. We tried My Pet Chicken too, ordered White Crested Legbars and D’Uccle… well the original order DOA. The replacement order arrived alive but 5 of the 6 chicks refused to eat or drink and despite our efforts died… failure to thrive. Only one White Sport Crested Legbar survived. There is an August order from Meyers coming soon… Legbar, Legbar crosses, Egyptians, Naked Necks, D’Uccles… so will be interesting to see how Meyers cross compare to Cackles crosses

Hi all, first time Sumatra owner here! I have 4, 7 week old sumatras. I am having trouble sexing them. I'm pretty good at sexing chickens but am stumped with the Sumatras. All 4 look the same with 2 a bit more aggressive than the others. Can somebody help me out with some advice on when they should start showing defining features, and when I should be able to sex them?

Back
Top Bottom