Sumatra Thread!

Pics
what colors are used to get dun, platinum, and khaki? i love the colors and really would love to have some down here. i already have a project for d'uccles and will not mind working on others.

Dun is a gene, with 1 copy of the Dun gene a Black bird will become a brown hue, anything from chocolately brown to a more slate brown depending on what other genes the bird is carrying.

Platinum is the product of Dun and Blue, in order for a bird to be Platinum you need both 1 copy of the Dun gene and 1 copy of the Blue gene.

Khaki is the product of 2 copies of the Dun gene.

Working on the Sumatra pen today while it's nice out. My babies are itching to get out of their brooder and get outside!
lol.png

Does anyone know the genotype for Black Sumatras? I can't find it anywhere on the web.

So I'm hoping that someone owning them might know.

I made some Black Giant / Black Sumatra chicks last year and I am trying to figure out their genotype.

Now they are big, beautiful and laying daily. I have hatched about 30 of their chicks so far.

Thanks, Nathan

It sure seems all you wonderful breeders are on the west coast.
Sure would be nice if there were more here on the east coast.
Sumatras are SOOOOOO hard to find here. I have one roo
that my DD gave to me as a yard pet.....he isn't breeding quality.

I hear there are lots in the southeast but I am always getting calls/emails from folks on the east coast asking for eggs or birds. This week we have about 5 dozen eggs going into the incubator so we can sell chicks to a few members that don't have incubators.

Well, I started with 16 eggs from a great flock of BBS Sumatra. I put only 2 into lockdown tonight.
sad.png
I'm really, really hoping they both hatch, I have no idea what I would do with 1 lonely chick. I was hoping for more, my plan was to outcross to this line to improve my own Dun stock, who knows maybe both will hatch and they'll be beautiful examples of the breed...
fl.gif

Here are some of the Sumatra i've bred years ago...Dutch lines, In western-europe these birds are supposed to be longlegged, upright and tails aren't allowed to drag (like the older game sumatra) we could use some better mulberryfaces, most birds here have red faces. (but knowing from old literature explaining the more redfaced birds come from the gamestrains and the mulberryfaced ones are closer to the black-junglefowl..wilder strains) Here they are flighty too, just indicates their closer relation to wild fowl.

Black pullet, this girl scored 2nd best in show in a european wide gameshow in Germany.

This was a very game bird, coming from a gamestrain. (the roo in his pen grew up with him and was the only one he tolerated for a long time, one day that was over and i had to keep him seperate)

A more mellow bird..one of my favorites this guy.

This is about as dark as i've been able to breed them back from brightred faces.

These are pics and drawings of early imported Sumatra's at the time still beiing used in pitfights on Sumatra-island.

I had blue and splash aswell.

A blue bird of Danish bloodlines...the blue and splashes here are in face and legs lighter than the blacks..not only the feathers are dilutes :)

Blue hen..amazing brood..very protective..she hurt a megpie badly goiing for a chick of hers, she also fought off a male hawk.

Amazing breed..i love them. I have been collecting information on them from all over. They are the oldest traditional gamebreed as far as we found in literature. But today they are bred different in every country almost..most have lost their gameness and turned it in for looks. They were imported to the US and european countries for pitfights in the first place, a history most people forget, and many countries have taken them off the list of gamefowl (in my country, they have been moved to ;" breeds with gameinfluence")
In some Indonesian areas they still use sumatra to increase gameness in other gamebreeds and crosses.

Last edited:
Here are some of the Sumatra i've bred years ago...Dutch lines, In western-europe these birds are supposed to be longlegged, upright and tails aren't allowed to drag (like the older game sumatra) we could use some better mulberryfaces, most birds here have red faces. (but knowing from old literature explaining the more redfaced birds come from the gamestrains and the mulberryfaced ones are closer to the black-junglefowl..wilder strains) Here they are flighty too, just indicates their closer relation to wild fowl.

Black pullet, this girl scored 2nd best in show in a european wide gameshow in Germany.

This was a very game bird, coming from a gamestrain. (the roo in his pen grew up with him and was the only one he tolerated for a long time, one day that was over and i had to keep him seperate)

A more mellow bird..one of my favorites this guy.

This is about as dark as i've been able to breed them back from brightred faces.

These are pics and drawings of early imported Sumatra's at the time still beiing used in pitfights on Sumatra-island.

I had blue and splash aswell.

A blue bird of Danish bloodlines...the blue and splashes here are in face and legs lighter than the blacks..not only the feathers are dilutes :)

Blue hen..amazing brood..very protective..she hurt a megpie badly goiing for a chick of hers, she also fought off a male hawk.

Amazing breed..i love them. I have been collecting information on them from all over. They are the oldest traditional gamebreed as far as we found in literature. But today they are bred different in every country almost..most have lost their gameness and turned it in for looks. They were imported to the US and european countries for pitfights in the first place, a history most people forget, and many countries have taken them off the list of gamefowl (in my country, they have been moved to ;" breeds with gameinfluence")
In some Indonesian areas they still use sumatra to increase gameness in other gamebreeds and crosses.
Hey! Glad to see you back on BYC. The last I saw of you was awhile ago on the Oriental Gamefowl thread when you uploaded some amazing photos. These Sumatras are absolutely gorgeous. I have always preferred Sumatras to be black-skinned, but these guys have such great type that facial color doesn't matter to me
wink.png
Love to see that famous European quality!

God bless,
~Gresh~

Back
Top Bottom