Sumatra

Championsumatra, Interesting. I checked with the seller again, and she confirmed that she was told this was a Black Australorp, and that she purchased it from our local hatchery. I also called the hatchery and they told me the same thing, that they sold Black Australorps but DO NOT sell Black Sumatras. Isn't that crazy? Could this be an Australorp with bad conformation, or do you think a Sumatra snuck in there somehow?

Ok. The reason I posted in the first place, is that this chick is so small. Everything about her is tiny and quick. She is half the size of her companions of the same age, a Buff Orpington, a Silver Lace Wynadotte, a Black Sex Link, and a Light Brahma.

Also, I called the Hatchery again, and they said they got their eggs from another source, and they are going to check their source to see if they had Sumatras. We'll see what they say...

your little bird is confusing me she looks like a sumatra but yet she dose not her tail is to short to be one but I can see in the pic that she is going to have the yellow feet and has a pea comb. so I don't know what to tell you.
hu.gif

Championsumatra, I hear you! I'm surprised to find that I may have a different breed than I had thought. But it's a good surprise! We enjoy all the colors and variety of various breeds. :-]
I tried to get a few more pics of what this bird's tail and head carriage usually look like. I don't have the best camera on my phone, so a few are a bit blurry. Veronica is always in motion and she is quick! In these pics, she is about 7.5 weeks old. The third pic is typical for how she usually looks. Her tail is usually pretty erect and pointed, and looks like a little pyramid from the back.

Jerseys are very similar also and do have yellow feet. Hatcheries often get the 2 mixed up and or sell cross breeds of the 2. Also due to weak genes and poor breeding practices , you often get pea combs in breeds that should have single Combs . Being that an australorp is a breed derived from out crosses

Back
Top Bottom