Sumatra

Hey all I need some information on the Sumatra temperment, please.
I have an 8 month old roo(Frank) who was the friendliest boy up until a few weeks ago-now I understand he is a rooster and he is maturing, but does anyone know if he will grow out of this? He HATES me now-every time I get near him, he wants to have a go at me. I understand he is a game, but it seems like everyone else I have asked has said their Sumatra roosters have never been aggressive. I would NEVER put him down, but will this get better?
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks all!

That's all part of a game bird.
They will get aggressive with age and especially during breeding season.
He should tone it back in the fall.
Mine are bantam, and arent too bad, but they will try you from time to time, this time of year

Quote:
We have not had this issue with the people handle and pick up the roos everyday. When they do act like that we do not let them intimidate us. We just keep handling them. I mean handle pick up and hold for a few minutes. My 7 year old is handling these guys daily to keep them friendly. My guys are only about 2 to 3 months older than Frank.

Mine are fine...the rooster has only gone after me once when he was a few months old. I back-handed him across the run and never had any more issues. He keeps well away from me with no signs of aggression. He will eat out of my hand but doesn't like to be petted or offer to be held like the hens. I do think their lines have lots to do with it--mine are show lines and I've heard horror stories about certain hatchery strains' temperaments...

I find that Mary Sunatra is only aggresive at night. Weird. And boy, she can FLY. That has led to various escapee adventures, in the Beyond Garden, AKA the front lawn. Do chickens try to be the favorite ones, because my favorite recently died and she has become a lot more friendly and has actually come in the house!

So cute

Funny at this age
The one chicken who isn't camera shy

This is her at 3 mo. She is 7 months now and looks really cool!

Weird pic

Her at the Stockton show awhile back

Hey Sumatra experts-I am looking for some good quality Blue Sumatra hens. Need to find a breeder here in SE Texas or SW Louisiana or a breeder that ships pullets. Anyone have any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom