Sumatra

Quote:
call Cackle, I just ordered 15 and got 18! Straight run only though.

Thank you for the tip. I'm actually looking for SQ birds.

When I first got back into chickens I only intended to do it for a few eggs. Then I started really looking at breeds and Sumatras and Cubalayas are 2 that I intend to add some day. Hubby hates my chickens but he'd be thrilled with a Cubalaya. LOL I was going through a book one day and he saw a eoo and said "NOW THAT'S A ROOSTER!" He wasn't impressed with the picks of the Sumatras but it was a terrible pic and he's never seen them in person. I think he'd really like them.

I love the Khaki roo. He's beautiful and oh well, add me to that list, because when you're ready, I will definately be ready.

I have Games also, but I just love the look of the Sumatras. I like all the colors my birds have, but I've always loved that basic black. LOL
The blacks were all I had seen until I walked into a feed store and they had 2 pairs. One white, one blue. Didn't have coops or any place for them then and naturally they haven't had any since.

Love all of your birds and going to try to keep track of this thread.

Quote:
Theres no such thing as golden sumatras,
they are cross bred.

If you want a lontailed fowl that is some what simular to sumatra but with BB Red Color Get Cubalaya

Okay...so here are some of my pics...and yes, my rooster's comb should be slightly darker--but he was locked inside most of the winter and now that he's out and seeing other roosters, it ain't pretty. LOL Once I get my lattice work up and the sun comes out (and stays out) that should help and I'll update some pics later. Ed Hart lines.

DSCN4015.jpg

DSCN4018.jpg

MATRIX ROO, LOL
DSCN4017.jpg

Tail to the wind, ROO
DSCN4019.jpg

DSCN4024.jpg

DSCN4023.jpg
Nice birds!

Okay...so here are some of my pics...and yes, my rooster's comb should be slightly darker--but he was locked inside most of the winter and now that he's out and seeing other roosters, it ain't pretty. LOL Once I get my lattice work up and the sun comes out (and stays out) that should help and I'll update some pics later. Ed Hart lines.

DSCN4015.jpg

DSCN4018.jpg

MATRIX ROO, LOL
DSCN4017.jpg

Tail to the wind, ROO
DSCN4019.jpg

DSCN4024.jpg

DSCN4023.jpg

Nice birds!

Holy Sumatran, Batman! BEAUtiful birds!!! I really want Sumatrans, but am afraid they will end up in neighbors' yards. Are they standard or bantam? Joe810, yes, VERY nice! :)

Does anyone have any good links to info on the Sumatra? I have 5 birds (all but one are roos) I want to keep the best bird but there's not much info out there.
They're very young right now and just starting to get their tail feathers. I imagine next summer they will really fill out.
Mine seem to have a lot more purple (This one in particular was practically tailless as a chick)

and one has some red (I'm sure outside influence)... he's got a lot of pin feathers showing too (neck). Still curious to see what he ends up looking like.

Last edited:
Hi Sumatra Experts, I have a mystery chick, that I thought was a Black Australop. I bought it when she was 3 weeks old, and that's what I was told. But on a different thread, someone else pointed out the rose comb, and said this is a Sumatra. This little chick is twice as small and twice and spunky and brave as the other chicks of the same age. What do you think?

When i first brought it home, at about 3 weeks old

With a friend, a black sex link (I think)

also at 3 weeks

7 weeks old

With a few friends, a Buff Orpington and Light Brahma, both are the same age and about twice as big!

With the light brahma and a silver lace wynadotte

Back
Top Bottom