Summer blues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mystang89, Mar 20, 2012.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    So it's spring time and, as I though, sickness is starting to get into my flock. One of the pullets I have, probably 8months or so, had poop on its butt that was caked. I did what I could to clean it off but I have also noticed that she has been less active today, standing around much of the time closing her eyes. I went to the run today later on to check on them and only saw 6/7. I went into the chicken coop and found her roosting. This is very unlike her or any of them because they normally stay outside until it is just about dark. She still have 3 or 4 hours of daylight left. That is when I took her down and started trying to clean her butt. When I was doing this she then started puking water, not sure if this is because I was holding her angled down so I could get her butt or what though.
    Anyway, with the intro out of the way, I have started them on CORID but I have no clue what the dosage should be. The directions say,
    "Add CORID to drinking water at the rate of 16fl oz per 100gal. At the usual rate of water consumption this will provide an intake of appx 10mg AMPROLIUM / KG(2.2lbs) body weight.
    I have a 2 gal water container. I put 1ml worth of CORID into the 2 gal of water for 7 leghorn chickens. Am I right?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dosage for the 9.6% corid liquid solution is 9.5 ml's/cc's per gallon of water. For a 2 gallon waterer, add 19ml's/cc's to it. I might add that your sick hen may not drink it. You'll have to use an eyedropper to administer it. Pull her wattles down and her mouth will open. Squirt a little in at a time and immediately release the wattles so that she'll swallow it on her own so she wont aspirate. You'll have to do this 5-6 times a day til she's able to drink the treated water on her own. Treat her/them for 5 days with the corid/water mixture.
    She might be eggbound. You can soak her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage underneath her abdomen, front to rear for about 20 minutes. This will relax her innards and she might lay the egg if that's the problem. Also inspect her for lice/mites.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I'm not exactly sure what ML/CC means but it looks like your saying I'm supposed to put 19ML of corid in the 2gal of water and then take an eyedropper for her in particular?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you suspect cocci, you'll want to treat all your birds, not just your sick bird because it can easily spread. You stated that you added 1ml of corid into 2 gallons of water. That is the incorrect amount of corid to use. ML and CC are the same measurements and are used for LIQUID measurement IF you have the corid liquid, no problem there...that was just for your info if you are using a syringe (without needle.) Besides, you asked for the dosage and I provided it to you. Dosage for 1 gallon is 9.5ml. You are using a 2 gallon waterer...add another 9.5ml to it. 9.5+9.5=19ml for 2 gallons of water.
    Your sick bird wont drink it because she is sick. If she does drink, it will be very little and she has to drink enough of the mixture to be effective to properly treat her. Therefore, use an eyedropper to dose her. You can use the treated water you placed in the waterer until she's well enough to drink from the waterer on her own. In other words, you're going to have to nursemaid her for a few days until she gets better by giving her an eyedropperful of the treated water orally. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Thank you very much for all the information. I have started nursemaiding her and am treating the rest of the flock with dosage as well. Hopefully this will keep them healthy too. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by