Summer coop prep

Open and cover with HC as much as possible. Maybe cut another window into the side as well. All windows open in the summer. Screen door will help, too. In the summer, the temperature inside will probably still be higher than the outside, but the more area you have open, on different sides, the more air movement and cross breezes there will be to help with the heat. May need multiple fans, too, to get air moving.

Our summers get HOT despite being farther north than you. I have a thermometer in the coop and the temperature in there gets above 100 and stays there even into the night, even though it rarely breaks 90 outside. It's this hot despite me opening a ridiculous amount of vents and windows. The tops of all my walls are open (6" tall openings wrapping around the whole coop); I have two shed windows that are open all the way, and a HC screen door for human access, plus two clip-on fans - one blowing across the vents, and one blowing at the roost. And the coop is under trees. It all helps, but the temperature is still 10+ degrees hotter inside than it is outside, and the chickens pant at night... So, in preparation for real summer, open as much as you possibly can.

Open and cover with HC as much as possible. Maybe cut another window into the side as well. All windows open in the summer. Screen door will help, too. In the summer, the temperature inside will probably still be higher than the outside, but the more area you have open, on different sides, the more air movement and cross breezes there will be to help with the heat. May need multiple fans, too, to get air moving.

Our summers get HOT despite being farther north than you. I have a thermometer in the coop and the temperature in there gets above 100 and stays there even into the night, even though it rarely breaks 90 outside. It's this hot despite me opening a ridiculous amount of vents and windows. The tops of all my walls are open (6" tall openings wrapping around the whole coop); I have two shed windows that are open all the way, and a HC screen door for human access, plus two clip-on fans - one blowing across the vents, and one blowing at the roost. And the coop is under trees. It all helps, but the temperature is still 10+ degrees hotter inside than it is outside, and the chickens pant at night... So, in preparation for real summer, open as much as you possibly can.

This is what is so wonderful about a monitor roof.

Unless the sun is beating directly on my little coop it is never hotter inside than out -- especially since I added the side window when I could no longer leave the pop door open at night.

This is what is so wonderful about a monitor roof.

Unless the sun is beating directly on my little coop it is never hotter inside than out -- especially since I added the side window when I could no longer leave the pop door open at night.
Do you have a picture? I had no idea what this was, had to look it up. So is the idea that there's a double roof, and the top one absorbs the heat and shields the bottom and the coop? Very interesting. My coop has a standard house-type roof with shingles. I've noticed that they work to heat the coop up. Which is great in the winter - keeps the coop about 10 degrees warmer than outside temperature - but it also keeps it about that much hotter in the summer, too... Honestly, I wish it was the other way around, as chickens suffer more from heat than from cold, but that's just how it is :(

Do you have a picture? I had no idea what this was, had to look it up. So is the idea that there's a double roof, and the top one absorbs the heat and shields the bottom and the coop? Very interesting. My coop has a standard house-type roof with shingles. I've noticed that they work to heat the coop up. Which is great in the winter - keeps the coop about 10 degrees warmer than outside temperature - but it also keeps it about that much hotter in the summer, too... Honestly, I wish it was the other way around, as chickens suffer more from heat than from cold, but that's just how it is :(

@3KillerBs has a thread about renovating the monitor coop design, took a good idea and made some real improvements in usefulness and expected durability. Hope its what you are looking for.

Here is my coop page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

I've got plans and a lot of photos of how the Monitor Roof was constructed. I think a competent handyman would easily be able to expand the design for a larger structure.

Back
Top Bottom