Summer has finally arrived in the Pacific Northwest!

Ogress

Songster
9 Years
Nov 24, 2010
North Bend, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Wow, it's a hot one out there - must be near 80! The chickens don't know what to do. Some are walking around in the sun panting like dogs while the smart ones are lazing about the thickest parts of our woods, even a dust bath is too much effort.

The good news is that produce other than peas and cabbage are finally starting to ripen in my garden. Just today I was able to harvest double the amount of tomatoes I've had all season - 4 Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, I popped them all in my mouth right there in the garden. I picked a pound of green beans, my June-bearing strawberries are in full bloom, and I got a few ripe blueberries today - the branches are all weighted down with thousands of green berries. Even my corn plants have mini ears on them now - the ones that remind me of Tom Hanks in the movie BIG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6guOrAsg0FI

If
I find 80 stifling, I don't think I could ever move back to California.

We have had hot mid-to-late summer weather since May and we're SICK of it! Weather has been upside down and backwards in the U.S. this summer. I'm ready for Fall. Bring it on!

I find 80 stifling, too. Too bad it's been about 95 with 80-100% humidity since May here, even at my elevation of 2000 ft. Even the nights haven't been cool like usual.

tongue.gif
It's heating up like mad here. I just saw a swarm of flies and it's only the 5th day of spring.
hit.gif
You can have your warm weather back! Please?
hide.gif
lol.png

Quote:
You need to move out here! I'm in the mountains at bout 1000 feet. It's rarely over 80 here, and though we sometimes complain about humidity, it is never anything like what people east of the Rockies get.

I've bee watching the heat wave across the country all summer, wishing I could trade some of our cool wet weather for a little bit of sun. It would have made everyone happy!

After a particularly rainy stretch, I found myself house-shopping on line all along the Gulf Coast, but then someone posted here about cockroaches in their coop. I can't handle cockroaches!

I think for the second summer in a row, my garden is a bust. These plants got started too late. I started them in a green-house, but the first planings froze, the second ones were eaten by my chickens, so it was nearly July before these were planted, and other than a ginormous cabbage, the plants are the smallest I have ever seen them this time of year.

Quote:
I have a good friend from Melbourne. Every couple of years she moves either up here or back down there. When she's up here she complains of the cold and the rain and how she misses her family; then she moves back home and writes to me about the miserable heat and the fact that she has too many annoying relatives nearby, and she misses her friends and "girls night out." Right now she's up here getting ready for another move down there. Her husband has his own consulting company and decided to have offices in Melbourne and Seattle.

yuckyuck.gif
At least I'm not that bad... lol. I have been known to let the chickens stay inside the house and eat "human food" at the table with me though heheheh.
roll.png

Quote:
The fall is heading your way. We are forecast to get 4-10 inches of rain in the next couple of days and the highs aren't supposed to get out of the eighties for the next week. I'm a summer lover but am looking forward to milder weather this fall.

Back
Top Bottom