Summer in Mississippi

I'm guessing that is a low, not a high, not anywhere in Mississippi I'm aware of.

One summer in a heat wave in Arkansas I turned the heat lamp off in the daytime after 2 days. The nighttime heat was off at 5 days. Even with a 75 watt bulb it was heating the coop more than I wanted. That weather was worse than we are seeing now. It was brutal.

At two weeks you do not need any added heat.
Surprisingly, it has been in the 60's here at night. I'm not complaining...LOL!

I havent had added heat except for the day and night they arrived.i actually reached out to the hatchery, my horse vet ( raised on a working cattle ranch with chicken houses) and a vet whom i graduated h.s. with who is an avian/exotic vet.. all advised to put a very small heat cave and then cool the rest..even at night temp is ready 90+until midnight
Surprisingly, it has been in the 60's here at night. I'm not complaining...LOL!
Oh God, I wish.. today isnt bad, we finally got some rain, but yesterday it was miserable

Actually, i am not sure the 1 loss was due to heat, monday i had another chick death but i caught a whole situation

I have only used the outside 500 gaplon trough in the winter to brood chicks..so it has a giant fan cover from a 60 inch fan and then a piece of ply wood over 1/2..well due to the heat used the fan cover and a smaller piece of plywood..i found one of my jubilee hens in the process of killing my salmon favorelle chick..she could have smothered the overheated looking one as it had not a mark..but either way she was prevented and despite 115 heat index no deaths with her having no access.im still not sure how she squeezed her fat butt in there because when left open the fat lazy cat goes in..and he has slipped in( hasnt ever touched a chick, for that matter ive seen a mouse literally run over his paw, when handing out prey drive, he was not present)

Anyway, it is secure and cool

I had one egg hatch out of 2 in the incubator ( found 2 partialy developed/developing eggs so anyway, tested the week old chicks, the egyptian fayoumi was awesome showing the 24 hour old food, water, making sure in heat cave..maybe my new favorite breed

Back
Top Bottom