Summer in Mississippi

BroKen1

Chirping
8 Years
May 20, 2015
I have some 2 week old chicks that are under a heat lamp. Normally, I would keep them under the lamp until about 5 weeks old, but I was wondering if that's really necessary in June in Mississippi. The temperature has been in the 80's, so I wasn't sure if that was actually needed. Thanks in advance for any answers/feedback.

I actually just use a regular watt bulb that is red. You probably just want to watch them to answer though, do they seem like they are trying to avoid being under it?

I'm in north alabama. I avoid raising chicks after about May if I can because it gets too hot in my garage where I brood them. I'd give them plenty of space in the brooder to where they can go to an area where it is equal to outside conditions (no influence of the heat lamp). You can turn the lamp off during the day and see how they do, I'd just keep an eye on the temps and turn the lamp back on at night if it goes below 80-85F. If they huddle and look cold, turn on the lamp. If they're trying to get away, turn it off. Keep a good eye on their behavior, and you'll figure it out. I'd put them outside at 4 weeks if you can.

I got chicks in on wednesday, i havent used heat at all..i usually use a heat lamp for first week or 2 then use a heaing pad cave

MIne are outside ,my march babies were free ranging by 7 days and under a heat cave when they wanted & at night... right now they heat cave is available as is frozen blocks of electro/probiotic water, regular water and plenty of shade..they stayed inside 1st night been out since

I have a broody with a 7 day old and another with 4 week olds..

The broody sitting on eggs spends more time standing over them rather than setting as i suspect they would be far too hot

We have been uunder a heat advisory for 2 days with 94-97 temps,heat indexs from 111-115

I got chicks in on wednesday, i havent used heat at all..i usually use a heat lamp for first week or 2 then use a heaing pad cave

MIne are outside ,my march babies were free ranging by 7 days and under a heat cave when they wanted & at night... right now they heat cave is available as is frozen blocks of electro/probiotic water, regular water and plenty of shade..they stayed inside 1st night been out since

I have a broody with a 7 day old and another with 4 week olds..

The broody sitting on eggs spends more time standing over them rather than setting as i suspect they would be far too hot

We have been uunder a heat advisory for 2 days with 94-97 temps,heat indexs from 111-115
That's good to know. Thank you!

I lost a 5 day old to the heat yesterday, i had to leave and go to work to take care of several sick foals and was gone longer than anticipated ,in the shade ceiling fan, large barn farn ,but the ice block was warm when i got home and it was the smallest,vibrant thing but she was in apositionwings fluffed way out right next to where the ice block had been.. the room i brood ininthe winter is a roomin the house with vents blocked with a chair,twin bed,med cabinet,med refrigerater,vents closed off from rest of house,ceiling fan and a cat window..allows outside cats a safe zone but the temperature in the summer stays about the same and in the winter about 10-15 degrees higher.. i have had critically ill newborn foals,sick dogs ( large) etc in their..which is why the vents are all closed and sealed up.. so moving them back in isnt the answer..while i love the intent my deceased s.o.had when ordered chicks to arrive every other month after his death in november..never,ever will i have chicks come after march

I'm so sorry. Gosh, compounding loss was not the intention, I am sure, but that is what is happening. I hope you can get someone to help.

The temperature has been in the 80's,
I'm guessing that is a low, not a high, not anywhere in Mississippi I'm aware of.

One summer in a heat wave in Arkansas I turned the heat lamp off in the daytime after 2 days. The nighttime heat was off at 5 days. Even with a 75 watt bulb it was heating the coop more than I wanted. That weather was worse than we are seeing now. It was brutal.

At two weeks you do not need any added heat.

Back
Top Bottom