Summer molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaydencedad, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Kaydencedad

Kaydencedad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2015
    California
    Will a chicken molt in the summer?
    I have a chicken that was laying almost everyday, from the start of February to April and then all of the sudden she stopped and I haven't got another one since! She is only 1 1/2 years old!

2. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    They'll stop for many reasons. If you've had a spike in temperature lately, that could be the reason. Chickens are also creatures of habit and any changes can cause enough stress to stop laying. New flock mates, new neighbors, rearranging the coop, etc. Illness will also cause a drop/halt in egg production. Molting doesn't usually begin until autumn when the temperature begins to drop and have a more significant loss of daylight hours.

3. Kaydencedad

Kaydencedad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2015
    California

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It is the right time of year for birds over 12 months of age to start molting. I've got one hen that has been molting for the last 2 months, and she's not even halfway done yet. She's a ridiculously slow molter.
    Molting is triggered by daylight hours shortening. In some places that doesn't really happen until autumn. In other places, farther north, it happens much earlier in the year.
    As mentioned, there are many reasons for a healthy hen to stop laying. Stress, heat, protein intake, not enough daylight can all be contributing factors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by