Summer Quilt Block Swap-Due August 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary and I organised a day to make quilted book covers so that our quilters guild can raise some funds with a tombola at the big quilt show in August. There have been 14 of us from all over the county in the village hall at top of my lane where our quilt group meets. It has been a real fun day with a lovely faith lunch. Hope Mary will post some pictures of what we have made but don't hold our breath as she has gone home for a lay down!

It truly is a wonderful thing that ya'll can gather together and enjoy a hobby together. It is sometimes hard for a young person to be accepted into a quilting group here.

I second Lacy Blues! In my opinion you will not find a more welcoming group. I don't think it matters on skill level as I believe we are all here just to share something we enjoy and encourage others.
smile.png

I've just rejoined the living. My feet still hurt. We are very encouraging to all quilters. At our fun day we had a lady with learning disability who has only just taken up quilting and she is going to be really good. She has an excellent design eye and just lacks experience on the sewing machine like any beginner. Having said that, she was doing free machine quilting! We also had a ten year old boy who joined us from time to time (Rosie's son) who is a seasoned quilter. The majority were silver haired recycled teenagers!

Cknldy, do a couple of block swaps here and then, when you go to join a local group you can tell them that you are a member of the International group, BYC and started your quilting journey with them. They won't know what BYC means.

Must tell you that Rosie's son said to me just before lunch that he was going home for a while to rest up, have a lie down, get a bit of quiet etc!!!! He came back refreshed in the afternoon.

I don't think it is just because your young........I have run a quilt group for several years and ended up with what I thought was a nice group of ladies. Turns out that a few of them were not as nice as they seemed. If anyone new came to the group they only came once or twice and then we wouldn't see them anymore. It took me a while to work out that there was a core of "ladies" who were sitting in the middle and managed to turn their backs on the rest of us. They never wanted to try anything new and we had to stop having workshops because they would suddenly all be "busy" on that day and not turn up. They even asked me to exclude someone who they didn't like.
One day I sat there and thought"I don't need this in my life" I knew if I said anything then it would turn into a slanging match so I sent everyone a letter telling them there would be no more meetings. We started a new group BUT we now draw lots as to where we will sit . We have a large group now and when people come they stay. By mixing people up we should avoid the "clerks" and people that find it hard to mix always have somewhere to sit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom